RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Discussion Mountain Models Lucky ACE prop selection

#1 mumblety-peg Aug 25, 2009 05:24 PM

Mountain Models Lucky ACE prop selection

Hi All,

I've just started construction on the Lucky Ace. And I'm wondering about prop selection. Would a 9*6 be a good choice? I've got several 3S 2100s so I can supply the amps. Is the frame slick enough to benefit from the extra pitch speed to be gained from a 9*6 vs a 9*4.7? The motor has not been chosen.
Thanks
Mitch

#2 buzzltyr Aug 25, 2009 06:16 PM

Mitch, motor and batteries are going to determine prop size, pretty much. 3S2100's are awfully big for the Ace. I'm using the recommended Scorpion motor, and 3S1200 packs, which flies it just fine.

Mark

#3 mumblety-peg Aug 25, 2009 07:03 PM

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the reply. The motor has not been purchased yet. And I may indeed end up buying some smaller packs. Just wondering about optimal pitch vs thrust.

BTW, I used to fly over in Burlington back when I lived in MA

Regards
Mitch

#4 buzzltyr Aug 25, 2009 07:27 PM

Hi Mitch,
I'm using Brian's recommended setup, and my Ace goes vertical pretty much forever.
It has become my all around "fun-to-fly" plane, and goes with me pretty much every time I fly. Because it's not a 3D plane, I'd probably go for a little less pitch and a little less thrust.

I'm a bit west of Burlington, just south of Springfield, on the CT. border.

Mark

#5 bartricky Aug 27, 2009 09:51 AM

I'm using a GWS 9050, 3S 1320mAh and get long flights with unlimited vertical.. The beauty of the ACE is keeping it light.