RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Build Log Slow Stick AP build

#1 BD Flyer Mar 30, 2009 08:08 PM

Slow Stick AP build

In the upcoming weeks, I will be building an AP Slow Stick.

I am using the following.

Electronics

Motor: Power Up 450 with the Stick Mount

ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 25

Servos: HXT 12K's (a bit overkill, but there just laying around in my house, so why not put them to use ;))***UPDATE: I've decided to use an 8 gram no-name servo for the elevator, and a TowerPro SG90 servo on the rudder.

Battery: Mystery 2200mAh 3s

Receiver: Spektrum AR6100

Other Parts and modifications

I'm going to substitute the stock SS wing for the Miss 2 wing. Joe Bennett came up with the idea for his SSV2. I was going to build the SSV2, but the old style aluminum Slow Stick booms are hard to find, and expensive if you do find them.

Landing gear: LG/camera mount

I will be reinforcing the tail with Carbon Fiber tape.

I will also be using various parts from Radical RC, such as the pusher motor mount (which I will probably use as a tractor mount), battery tray mount, steerable tail wheel mounting kit, and other parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be ordering most of these parts this week. Stay tuned for lots of updates and build pics. And once I get this all built, I have a digital camera that takes HD video that I am going to put on this plane. I will also be taking still pictures with my other digital camera.

#2 BD Flyer Apr 01, 2009 04:03 PM

I ordered the Slow Stick (NPS) today. I will order the motor as soon as it is in stock, along with the parts from Radical RC and the landing gear/camera mount.

I already have the receiver, battery, servos, and esc.

#3 BD Flyer Apr 12, 2009 12:15 PM

I finally got everything ordered.

I added up the total price for everything. It was right under $200. :eek:

I won't be buying another plane for a while...

#4 BD Flyer Apr 17, 2009 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, everything is now here. I will start building tonight if I have the time.

#5 Pudknocker71 Apr 20, 2009 05:26 AM

I starting to think about that pusher setup. Figuring out the dual motor, props, and ESCs is starting to be a headache for me. I can do a simple HC Towerpro setup with that pusher mount.

Humm...

Well I'm watch'n for pictures and test results!:)

Question for you....which pusher angle did you choose? They list Zero, 5, 12 (stock) and so on. And what does this mean?:o

#6 BD Flyer Apr 20, 2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudknocker71
I starting to think about that pusher setup. Figuring out the dual motor, props, and ESCs is starting to be a headache for me. I can do a simple HC Towerpro setup with that pusher mount.

Humm...

Well I'm watch'n for pictures and test results!:)

Question for you....which pusher angle did you choose? They list Zero, 5, 12 (stock) and so on. And what does this mean?:o

That is the perch dihedral for the wing mounts. If you just want the motor mount itself, you can select to have ''no perches'' when you order it. I believe it is $4 less or something like that. I ordered the mount with 0 degree dihedral perches because the wing I am putting on it has no dihedral in the middle.

#7 BD Flyer Apr 24, 2009 06:09 PM

I think i'm gonna have to use different servos. Those HXT 12K's weigh nearly 2 ounces a piece. :eek:

#8 Pudknocker71 Apr 26, 2009 01:21 PM

HXT900 are our crowd favorite. Site shows .32oz each. Our analog scale barely registered one.

#9 BD Flyer Apr 26, 2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

HXT900 are our crowd favorite. Site shows .32oz each. Our analog scale barely registered one.

Yup, I love those HXT900's. I think I might have a couple spares somewhere around my house. I just have to find them. :)

#10 BD Flyer Apr 28, 2009 03:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got the motor and battery mount built and painted. I added some carbon fiber tape to the bottom of the horizontal stab. I also put the Miss 2 wings together. I'm now waiting for a vertical stab mount from Radical RC, and I have to stop at the LHS to pick up some blenderm tape & a tail wheel. Until then, i'll be working on this plane slowly. Can't wait to get it finished!

#11 BD Flyer Apr 30, 2009 07:39 PM

It's coming together...

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to throw some of the parts together today just to see what this ''thing'' is going to look like. :)

#12 Pudknocker71 May 01, 2009 06:00 AM

Well....the gold motor matches the wing.:p :rolleyes: Hope I get my order in today myself.

Look'n good BD.:)

#13 BD Flyer May 01, 2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Well....the gold motor matches the wing.:p :rolleyes: Hope I get my order in today myself.

Look'n good BD.:)

Haha... thanks. :D

I actually didn't even notice that the motor matches the wings... :)

#14 Shpook May 01, 2009 09:37 PM

So what do you think of that camera mount? I've gotten it sitting in the shopping cart off his site, but not sure I want to spend that much money. I could just spend $15 on the strip of aluminum and hardware, take a few hours, and be done with it. But I'm torn between being cheap, or being lazy. :D

#15 BD Flyer May 02, 2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shpook
So what do you think of that camera mount? I've gotten it sitting in the shopping cart off his site, but not sure I want to spend that much money. I could just spend $15 on the strip of aluminum and hardware, take a few hours, and be done with it. But I'm torn between being cheap, or being lazy. :D

I did the same thing. It took me a couple weeks before I finally decided to order that landing gear/camera mount. I figured that it would cost about $15 for the aluminum and hardware (like you said), and another $5 for the wheels. That's $20 right there, not to mention driving to hardware stores (probably more than one) and spending about an hour and a half looking for all of the parts. Then you would have to drive back home, spend about 2 more hours building the landing gear. And you have the risk of messing it up.

So... IMO, it was worth paying an extra $15-$20 for somebody else to do all that. :)