New Products Flash Sale
SRQFlyer's blog View Details
Posted by SRQFlyer | Jan 14, 2016 @ 10:22 AM | 3,142 Views
This blog entry is a work in progress. I think and type slowly nowadays.

Anyway, Snoopy is a 25 year old Ultrasport 1000 that my NJ buddy bought used at a PA flea market in the mid 90's. It originally had a MVVS 1.50 with a pipe and tricycle gear. We were flying off a rough-cut ball field and the MVVS kept quitting (probably wasn't broken in), so early successes were few and far between.

He gave me the plane on my trip to NJ in 2004. I flew it with that engine, a Saito 150, Supertigre S2500 and 3000, all in trike gear setup. Eventually, the firewall gave up from some not-too-perfect landings and Snoopy imitated the droop-snoot Concorde.

In 2008 there was a major rebuild and re-cover. In went a Supertigre 2300 and 2-wheel gear, saving several pounds. What a difference!

Late in 2014, the servo mounting rails came loose and another rebuild/recover was called for. The red tail version is the latest and ol' Snoop flew two days ago, smiling all the time.

The pictures are pretty much in chronological order. You will notice that I still put silly decals on my planes - oh, well.

...Continue Reading
Posted by SRQFlyer | May 08, 2015 @ 02:17 PM | 2,931 Views
I like to overhaul, fix up, whatever model aircraft engines. I do it for other guys and for engines for myself.

These three were from a batch that I bought from Epoxyearl last June. They needed some TLC, like new parts, pieces made, a good cleaning and test runs. After going over all of them thoroughly, they test ran beautifully!

They are (left to right):

An OS Max 15 RC, vintage 1975. This is a baffle piston plain-bearing engine.

An OS Max 25 RC, vintage 1971. This is also a baffle piston, plain-bearing engine.

An OS Max S30 RC, vintage 1964. This is also a baffle piston, plain bearing engine.

I was pleased to find that some of the currently-available OS "LA" parts, like drive washers, fit these older engines. Also, I was lucky that some of the members here could come up with the correct mufflers for two of them. I made some of the gaskets and was also lucky to have some old needle valves laying around that were the right size and type.
Posted by SRQFlyer | Feb 09, 2014 @ 09:40 PM | 4,670 Views
Here's my Razor that I finished around the Holiday time. It has a Saito .82 in it - wow!
Zoom way in to read the decals on the fuse sides.