HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
BMtech's blog
Archive for April, 2012
Posted by BMtech | Apr 21, 2012 @ 08:42 AM | 2,128 Views
Well after running around this morning doing domestics, I had a chance to cut out some checker s for the left tip, I down loaded a vector file & just printed it out on A4 paper, then cut out the wing tip shape & laid it on the flag ... cut that out to shape, then used a light spray of 3M 77 spray glue to hold the flag in place while I cut the black squares.

Then I used some sticky backing tape we use for our stickers to hold it all together
I used clear book covering film as my stencil, but next time & if you are thinking of doing the same use a coloured one as itís easier to see when placing it down on the wing to line it up though the backing paper.

The covering film is a lot stickier than the backing paper & once placed, removed the backing & smoothed out any bubbles or wrinkles & masked the tip up as needed, I didnít do the whole wing I just covered it with an old sheet but should have run a piece of tape over the end as I did get some over spray on the wing under the sheet

I cheated a bit with this as I used a spray can of gloss black acrylic paint on it , after spraying it was it left to dry for 40 min or so then just very carefully removed the sticky squares & voila a check flag !! it did need a couple of touch ups & ill put some shading on it to make it look like its flying with an air brush

I then taped up the bottoms of the wings & used the fine line tape at the LE to get the straight line again, then just painted both wing tops & the fuse with 4 coats of Bright Orange acrylic, its not as orange as I had hoped but itís bright!!! As you will see in the pics

By for now
Rick
Posted by BMtech | Apr 15, 2012 @ 07:29 AM | 2,207 Views
More painting today, just masked up the bottoms of the wings, will be laying down gloss black

Iím just dividing the bottom in ľ chequer as Sean had this on a wing last year at Manila, I liked the look & it was easy to see ----I need all the help I can get with this as it wonít present a big profile in the air

I have the corner over a servo hole as its going to have carbon covers on the servos later & the LE has the tape running along the very front of the wing
After some measurements & marking with tape I laid down some fine line tape then masking tape & news paper to cover the whole wing ready for spraying this was a bad move as when removing the paper later it had left ink on the white paint Ėgrrr! , it will clean off when I buff it out

I started to spray & had some trouble with the hvlp gun (cheap of EBay) & I found that there was a blockage in one of the fan holes & the gun was pulsing ,after re-cleaning it all was fine

I laid the black down with 2 very light coats just a dusting then followed by 2 full wet coats with about 3 or so mins between each coat
The paint was left for about 1 hour before removing the masking ,it has come out good with some gloss, ,Ill be polishing it up later after the top sides are painted & putting a coat of clear on it

Thatís it for now
Rick
Posted by BMtech | Apr 14, 2012 @ 07:23 AM | 2,541 Views
the fuse is done now, ground down the wing root to the correct shape & used micro spheres & epoxy to get the new root foil shape , them some filling & sanding to fair it in

the fuse is now in spray primer & spot filled then I have just put 2 coats of white acrylic paint that will get wet sanded back for the final paint (Bright Orange), I was going to paint it in candy orange with a gold base coat but have decided just to use the acrylic paint