HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
PlaneCrazee's blog
Posted by PlaneCrazee | Aug 08, 2009 @ 03:36 AM | 3,269 Views
Instead of polluting the main thread it seems a better idea to more the side thread. The main thread is here.

The main ducts are pretty much finalized now a short connector/adapter duct mold is mostly finished and should be ready in a day or so. Using one layer of 6oz was too light and 2 was too heavy, since a single 10 would be hard and sloppy they will be one layer of 4oz and one of 6oz. As soon as the adapter is ready I'll post pics of the installation and final product.
Posted by PlaneCrazee | Jun 15, 2009 @ 06:17 PM | 3,117 Views
Here are the preliminary results after only rough machining and balancing.



The Setup:
HV OEMrc 100V esc
2x Rhino 4900 5s 20c 10s1p
Scorpion HK4035 630kv 6mm shaft
Heavily modified Hoaye 5" fan
Smooth inlet ~ .5" radius
90% FSA 6" exhaust

The peak thrust was 10lbs 1 oz that settled to 9 lbs 6 oz after 15 seconds or so.


edit 6/17
The initial test on 12 was a complete success!

The only change was a 2s Rhino was added in series. The thrust went up to 12lbs 1 oz peak and dropped to about 11lbs 8 oz.

These tests are with the trailing edge of the blades blunt. Once they are contoured and polished the results should go up.
Posted by PlaneCrazee | Jul 21, 2007 @ 06:31 PM | 3,677 Views
Here are a couple of old plans I got kinko's to scan. Both were originally 1/2A designs from the '80s. the Javlin has been flown as 1/2A, A, slope soarer and electric. The Swift has flown as 1/2a and A only so far, but the wing was stolen from an F-15 sloper I made for a friend in California. He said it flew well at Torry Pines(,sp) but I understand with the lift there a brick will fly.
Sorry the plans aren't tiled yet. If someone has the means and beats me too it feel free.
Posted by PlaneCrazee | Jan 28, 2007 @ 07:05 AM | 4,433 Views
Sooooooo here goes....





A couple of projects coming down the pike.



The first is a EDF version of the Albacorde. Downloaded the plans over a year ago and they sat in my shop waiting for me to get back to them. One of the best looking profiles ever... screams for an EDF. Following the FFF theme it had to be cheap but powerful. With a GWS 55 laying around waiting for a job (just like me since a couple of weeks ago... another need for thrift) and a spare 22.7mm EDF motor kit we have a power unit. A good power loading seems to be paramount with these fan powered planes so the aim is 200w/lb.

With a target weight of 16 oz we'll need 200w from the motor. I blew up a 64 pushing more that that through one of these so it can be done.

3 strands of 22g for 1 3/4 turns should be pretty hot.



The first no load with my cc35 was not good on 2s. Very high amp and it would not stop jerking and spool smoothly. I updated the firmware, reduced the pwm frequency and increased the advance. Wow! What a Difference! It sounds like a dentist's drill! It still cuts out at the very top speed but that has to be due to the esc bumping into the max switching speed. This is a 12 pole rotor and 9 arm stator after all. when it has a load it is bound to slow to switchable speeds.

Trimmed and balanced the fan rotor then installed it on the motor with shaft lock. after 15 minutes of curing time to see what will happen. Same setup as before. Slowly advancing the throttle produced a nice...Continue Reading
Posted by PlaneCrazee | Mar 17, 2006 @ 03:13 AM | 4,958 Views
bloggedy blog blog...