Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
lmopar69's blog
Archive for October, 2009
Posted by lmopar69 | Oct 31, 2009 @ 12:24 PM | 10,901 Views
Well, Im home from 11 days of flying an Army Blackhawk for high altitude training in Colorado. It was fun for sure, but, now Im home, and I have planes to build!

So, Im trying to figure out what to do next. I have a few planes waiting to be built/finished/repaired. An Eflite Extra, a Gee Bee Senior Sportster, an Ultimate Bipe, a 51" Bob Cat, a 60" flying wing, a Combat Corsair, a H.O.B. Mustang, a Bullit Delta, and a small Pitts S2 that needs a quick repair. Plenty of planes to choose from thats for sure.

I have power systems for most of them, but, I need a ton of servos and recievers to get them in the air. I guess I just need to figure out which one to work on first and order up some servos and a reciever to get-r-done.

Or, maybe I should work on my 46 Dodge... Or, maybe I should put the transmission back in my 1SGs Jeep... Or, maybe I should fix the transmission in my sons 93 Dakota... Or maybe I should work on my race car... Or maybe I'll just sit on my butt, relax for a few days and just hang out with the wife and kids. The latter sounds the best, but I just dont know if I can sit still that long!

Decisions decisions!

Laine.
Posted by lmopar69 | Oct 18, 2009 @ 07:32 PM | 11,372 Views
Well, we had our fun last weekend at the Fun Fly in Tullahoma, TN. Time to get back to Army life. Im rollin out for Colorado for 10 days +/- to do some high altitude flight stuff. So, no more workin on my planes, and flying in the evenings for a week and a half. At least the scenery out there is awesome!

In other news, my 16 year old maidened the first plane he has ever built by himself! Its a 44" Cox 380 trainer. We chucked the brushed system and put in a Ultra Fly FRIO 9 brushless outrunner with a 10x4.7 prop and a 3S 1320 lipo. I took it up, trimmed it, handed it over to him and he flew out the entire battery himself! He did about 10 -15 patterns, 3 takeoffs, some "low approaches" and finally brought it in and landed it by himself. He came in a little steep, and broke the prop, but hey, the plane is still in one piece! Proud daddy I am! Now, to get him an AMA card so he can come to the field with me.

Laine.
Posted by lmopar69 | Oct 06, 2009 @ 11:01 PM | 12,754 Views
I got all the electronics in tonight. I put the Scanner RC servos from Hobby-Lobby into it that used to be in the SRT/10. A 6S 5000mah lipo supplies the electricity to run the Venom V-50 outrunner mounted on the nose with a 14x7 APC prop and a cute little Dubro plastic spinner. It has a Castle Creations HV-85 in it (overkill for sure) and a Castle Creations CC BEC to run the servos.

I made the top part of the fuse in front of the wing into a battery hatch held on by magnets. I replaced all the hinges on the control surfaces with dubro hinges. Of course, the covering is now Monokote with some automotive pinstriping on it. I also put some new Dubro control horns on it and I replaced the 2.5" foam tires with some 3.5" rubber tires to give it a tad more prop clearance.

I put the motor on some stand-offs to help get the balance just right. In "flight trim" it balances out perfectly with no added wieght anywhere. The only thing left, is to put a battery tray into the front over the top of the ESC then its ready to go.

So, now that its done... whats next? I have 2.5 more days before we head out to Tullahoma with the trailer in tow for the fall fun fly. Hmmm... there has to be another plane or two around here I can fix up real quick before we go. We'll see I guess.

Laine.

EDIT: Put it on the wattmeter tonight. 1250 watts and 65 amps. So I could go with just a little more prop if I needed to, but, it wants to climb straight up out of my hands at about half throttle. Should be a fun plane! If I get home in time tomorrow, I'll put it in the air and find out.

Laine.
Posted by lmopar69 | Oct 04, 2009 @ 06:02 PM | 12,817 Views
On Wed, September 30th (my 35th birthday) my new (to me) .60 size H9 Super Stick showed up in the mail. Sent from a new friend down in Floriday, the SS had seen its share of use. I stripped it down, made some minor repairs, cleaned, cleaned, cleaned and cleaned the goo and slime off the plane, put on a coat of poly, sanded it and started recovering the beast.

4 days later, with a little help from my little lady (and a big mess in my building room) its done. Now, its on to installing the new power system. 6S 5000mah lipos, Venom V-50 400kv outrunner and of course, a Castle Creations ESC and BEC that should zing this thing around pretty good.

Laine.