HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
gp125racer's blog
Archive for August, 2007
Posted by gp125racer | Aug 28, 2007 @ 02:40 PM | 4,094 Views
My newest addition to the fleet, saw it while wandering thru the hobbyshop.

For $100, with the ESC, motor, battery, and fiberglass fuse I was impressed. Build quality is top notch and the paint looks very nice as well. Im planning on using a brushless inrunner (GWS??) that will mate up with the stock gearbox. This will be my first inrunner/gearbox setup so Im looking forward to it.

It just so happens, at the flying field I saw the electriplanes seawind maiden. Very very smooth looking once in the air ... very scale. Jamesdr told me it handles very similar to the lancair .... man I cant wait

If anyone has any recommendations for a power plant Im all ears

gp125racer
Posted by gp125racer | Aug 28, 2007 @ 02:29 PM | 2,957 Views
And ready for my first covering attempt! I need to be more precise with the amount of glue Im using. It really shows and is a nightmare to sand down.

Total weight is right about 1.6 ounces so far, which I think 1/2 of is glue
Posted by gp125racer | Aug 22, 2007 @ 03:38 AM | 3,235 Views
I managed to finish up the wing tonight. I would of finifhed it last night had it not been for that power outage. Even as a first build the wing went together easily. It will be nice to build some of the newer laser cut kits as the fit should be much better than the parts out of this older guillows. A lot of trimming and sanding is neccasary for each part before gluing. Heres a few shots of the wing halves and a few other random shots from my vacation over the last week.
Posted by gp125racer | Aug 20, 2007 @ 12:30 PM | 3,708 Views
Ive wanted to build a kit for quite a while now, but Ive always looked at it as a daunting task. In my efforts to achieve a level of building profiency that will allow me to build more advanced kits, I decided Id build a Guillows Aeronca and cover it with Microlight cover. Its been fun todo the fuselage so far, Ive got 1 last piece and 2 or 3 more stringers on the fuse then its onto the wing.

This plane will be for display purposes only as Im not interested in spending the $$$ required to make it light enough to fly well. Another reason Im not interested in making it a flying model is the fact that Ive yet to see a day wind wise in which it would allow me to fly it easily.

Heres some pics. I modified the center portion of the fuse to include a "deck" that would allow servo mounting and battery storage etc if one wanted to make it a flyable craft.
Posted by gp125racer | Aug 13, 2007 @ 12:59 AM | 3,310 Views
So today was the day. It was time to maiden the franken-mosa .... I mean the formosa. I arrived out at the field and it was a little windy for my liking but for some odd reason the wind died down to an acceptable level. Jim (jamesdr), was there to assist me with my maiden. He gave the plane a once over, and after reversing each channel (except the throttle ... I got that one right), we decided it was time to fly this bird. I have to say the maiden flight went really really well. Two clicks of left trim and two up and she was pretty steady. I really enjoy the smoothness of this airframe. It turns so well, and the rudder has great authority.

After the uneventful maiden, and a piece of Jims birthday cake, it was time to fly again. Unfortunately, while securing the hatch with my high tech hat pin, I managed to puncture my lipo pack.

After the smoke break, Jim suggested I try and fly it. After a good laugh, I figured out he was serious ... so I started assessing the damage. Fortunately all that basswood I used to reinforce the airframe, also kept the electronics from cooking up. All in All it required some glue for the broken hinges and some tape to hold the canopy on as I was now lacking some surface area on it. To my suprise, it flew well and I managed to take her home in one piece.

Thanks to Jim and Todd for all the encouragement, and help!
Posted by gp125racer | Aug 05, 2007 @ 05:23 PM | 4,979 Views
Last weekend, I finally found a local retailer with the GWS formosa in stock. I had been looking for the formosa II but I ended up with the original F3A formosa I.

Id originally planned on installing retracts on this bird, but after some research and conversations it seemed as if the retracts just were not in the plan for the formosa. Most (if not all) F3A planes Ive seen dont have them anyway .... yeah thats it, its just not scale

First thing I did during the build was cut out foam and rebuild the innards with basswood. Then modified the wing as to allow for a dual aileron servo setup. Applied carbon tape too inside and outside of fuse, ailerons, wing, rudder and elevator. While gluing together, I only had to apply very slight pressure to counter act the dreaded 'formosa twist'.

The ESC should be on the porch when I get home from work tomorrow so from there Ill finalize the controls (pushrods, trims etc) and hopefully maiden her during the week.

Next time Ill take pics while building.