SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Larrikin's blog
Posted by Larrikin | May 04, 2014 @ 05:48 PM | 2,308 Views
I have the privilege of being able to build a purpose-built model workshop/Man Cave.
It's been months in the preparation stage but today the first sod has been turned and I plan to blog the progress.

Please jump in with any suggestions along the way.

Very VERY excited.
Posted by Larrikin | Mar 31, 2012 @ 03:03 AM | 2,654 Views
I've been waiting for some bits to arrive so I may continue with the refurbishment.
The parts have arrived so I had no excuses left, time to get into it.
I'll state in advance that I underestimated the level of difficultly when working with other people's repairs.
This '13 has a hardwood nose block with a plywood "keel" and at some point an aerotow release was made for the nose. Drilling into the nose, through the ply without it wandering would have been difficult and as it was, the hardwood chipped and splintered at the hole opening.
With the tow release unit, I found a suitable brass tube diameter and epoxied both the release unit and the brass tube into the hole and filled the chips and splinters around the hole opening at the nose.

Now for the nose wheel. I cleaned up the area where I intended to put the wheel and cut two pine rails to epoxy in between the fore and aft bulkheads. The idea was to sit the axle onto the rails and clamp with "Saddle Clamps". But first I had to see how much of the wheel was protruding below the fuselage. I'm using the clamps in a way they weren't intended to be used but I hope they'll do the job. ( I bought spares )
Now that this is done. I'm ready to begin planking the outside.

D.
Posted by Larrikin | Feb 27, 2012 @ 06:00 AM | 2,762 Views
The Bees.
Liam is pushing to have the Bees flying asap so on Sunday arvo we had a combined build session. The next stage of the Bees was to Shoe Goo the leading edges of both of the wings. Not ever having done this before we tried equal weights of Goo and Xylene and that seemed to work pretty well. Scuff the moulded foam surface with 120 paper, brush on the thinned Goo, let it dry, scuff and repeat... (3 times in total). The next step is to apply the 3" wide fibre tape.

ASK-13.
Having sanded a lot of the paint off the fuselage it has become evident that dad didn't fibreglass all of the sheeted balsa on the fuse. The fin and tailplane are just doped and painted over so the grain of the balsa is still visible. And the areas the are glassed are done with polyester resin.
Crikey there was some paint on it . Both Liam and I spent a lot of Sunday arvo sanding.
My attention then turned to the canopy frame. Dad made it from square brass tube, soldered and carefully caressed into shape. The canopy was then glued and pinned to the frame. In the crash, the canopy frame was pretty badly damaged. Brass joins were broken, hinge points snapped off and it was bent way out of shape. I spent a few hours tinkering with pliers and soldering iron and it became a little over-whelming and I considered scraping the whole thing in favour of a ply frame that just lifted on and off. A hinged canopy is cool but who cares once the model is barrelling down the runway behind a tug?
I took a break, got my second wind and forged ahead and it looks like it'll be ok ... the hinged canopy stays. I'll get some shots of the canopy frame soon.

D.
Posted by Larrikin | Feb 21, 2012 @ 03:53 PM | 2,910 Views
G'day,
I'm guilty of having too many unfinished projects (like many other people I suspect) but recently, I've been presented with an opportunity that I coundn't refuse.
In the mid 80's, my dad built his first 1/4 scale model from a Cliff Charlesworth plan, the ASK-13. The subject he chose to model was a '13 that both of us had flown in and was based at a gliding center about 3 hours drive from home in Kingaroy. Looking for his next project, he turned to the ASK-18 and he sold the '13 to help finance it.
To cut a long story short, my plan is to have both the '13 and the '18 airworthy so my dad can see both of his 20+ year old creations circling in the same thermal being piloted by myself and his grandson. And if he behaves himself I might even hand him the transmitter (Payback is sweet.)

ASK-13-1.MOV (3 min 6 sec)

Posted by Larrikin | Feb 05, 2012 @ 04:52 AM | 3,372 Views
Rather than start yet another BeEvo build thread in the main forum I thought I'd start documenting the build here instead.
I got two BeEvos, one for me and one for my son Liam.
It took about two weeks from confirmation of payment to when they arrived.
Reading other build logs, I wasn't sure what we were going to get coz there were different versions reported, particularly relating to the carbon rod at the rear of the centre join. Some had the rod but no holes in the foam ... others had the holes but no rod. We got both.
Great, until I do a trial fit to find that the holes in the foam aren't centered equally ... on either model. See image 1. This put a step in the panels across the center join.
Fortunately, others that missed out on the rod or the holes in the previous threads just left the rod out of the model with no apparent side effect. Sounded good to me.
Then I read about the "A$$ Crack". Not ever owned a chevron wing, the a$$ crack phenomenon was new to me. Our solution was to insert a 200mm length of 2mm carbon rod towards the rear of the centre join on both top and bottom skins.
Also, instead of butt joining the carbon spars at the center join, I cut a radiused groove so the spar can be kept in one piece.
Next step, taping the wing.
Happy to hear your experience here. The single page instruction sheet doesn't mention whether to fully tape the skins or just as shown around the perimeter.