Posted by Pat Lynch |
Jan 05, 2011 @ 03:54 PM | 11,975 Views
After a busy modelling year, I asked myself 'what have I achieved'? Apart from completing the Rake 54" SE5a, and done prototype builds of Pete's F2b, Balilla and Air-1 (plus all the photos and documentation) I have started a few new models just for my own enjoyment and have scrapped/sold/given away several older models or those I was unlikely to finish any time soon. Living in a townhouse with limited storage space has forced me to have a rather large turnover - my passion is building models with flying them just a bonus. So if one crashes or doesn't give me much satisfaction, out it goes - harsh but reduces the clutter a bit. (and my Tx has only 12 model memories!)
After the little AIR-1 was built for Peter, I decided to have some time off from prototype builds, their comittment and specific requirements and do some work for myself. Consequently I have a very large Westland Lysander to the Frank Mizer plan (87"), a simple 60" Hurricane and most recently, an up-sized Peter Rake Morane Saulnier AI parasol winged WW1 fighter all on the go! This, plus the unfinished SPAD should keep me out of mischief for most of 2011!
Posted by Pat Lynch |
Jan 05, 2011 @ 02:07 PM | 11,820 Views
In the latter part of the year I, and people around me had a few niggling health problems which promted a 'slow down' - not easy as I was up to my ears in projects. While I resolved to spend a little less time at the bench (for a while) I had Pete's F2b to finish and fly and had been tempted by a 1/8 A1 Balilla - I just loved the potential colour schemes! There was also a long standing comittment to build a simpler model of Yakovlev's first powered aircraft design. Well, with a bit of effort, the F2b was finished, flown, crashed, rebuilt and fown many times more - it is my heaviest and largest model to date and is extremely stable in flight. The little Balilla exercised my finishing skills with a stained balsa fuselage, 'in-your-face' camoulflage and outlandish personal markings. Plus of course the delightful red/white/green Italian livery!
She was finished and flown. The other model completed from the Rake stable was the rather nice, simple Yak AIR-1. This flew 'off-the-drawing-board'. No vices, very light weight and simple to fly. It was a good exercise in keeping it simple after the F2b and Balilla builds.
As usual, more info can be found in the build threads: