HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Jay Burkart's blog
Archive for March, 2011
Posted by Jay Burkart | Mar 26, 2011 @ 10:57 AM | 5,044 Views
I have completed all three of the Airborn 1600's to the ready to cover
stage.
Two of them are already on their way to new homes for this years SAM contests to be outfitted and covered by their new pilots.
I have started the process of covering mine and setting it up and
will continure documenting that in my blog.
Here are some pictures of the framed Airborns.
Thanks for bearing with me.
Jay Burkart
Posted by Jay Burkart | Mar 20, 2011 @ 11:44 PM | 5,842 Views
I cut and shaped the front window blocks, Quite a lot of balsa butchering to be had here.
That window block is massive.
Also the nose cowl blocks on the firewall motor mount is made for most of the models.
Piece of 1/2" balsa here and some 1/16 balsa strips around the edge of the motor mount themselves
to have them blend in with the sheeting of the fuselage and give the motor mount a balsa sheath
all the way around to make the covering adhere better.
Lastly bent up all the landing gears of 5/32 music wire, plan on heat treating all the gear
so that it toughens it up quite a bit and makes it not bend so easy now that the music
wire we get is about as soft as solder....Continue Reading
Posted by Jay Burkart | Mar 14, 2011 @ 09:34 PM | 6,836 Views
I have attached the tail sections to the fuselage. The vertical stab had been attached to the
horizontal stab previously. Now the horizontal stab and vertical are attached to the fuselage and
aligned. There is a cross platform of 1/4 plywood attached across the very rear of the fuse.
Then a piece of hard trailing edge stock is attached to the fuselage just in front of where the
horizontal stab rests on the fuselage. This is essentially a flat section built in to the fuselage
when framing the Trailing edge material is to anchor a alignment hold down tab of 1/16 plywood,
that protrudes from the leading edge of the horizontal stab at it's center section.
At the bottom of this TE material there is a place cut into it that is removeable to be able to
change the angle of attack of the stab if trimming is necessary. This is scored and close to
cut free but not removed so that the provision is there.
The stab is then aligned and the tab glued on, then the stab has two holed drilled through it
for 6-32 nylon bolts to bolt it to the cross platform. This is realinged to be square with the
center line of the fuselage and then drilled and tapped to accept the 6-32 bolts and the
thread hardened with thin CA and retapped.
I also put in ballast tubes right at the CG of the fuselage to be able to insert lead slugs to add
ballast to make the competition weight rules for the SAM events of Texaco and LMR.
the ballast is removeable as with the batteries we are...Continue Reading
Posted by Jay Burkart | Mar 05, 2011 @ 01:37 PM | 5,546 Views
I have been working with the stringers for the bottom side of the fuselage cowling.
After doing that part the fuselage has a bottom keel that runs about 3/4 the length of the fuse.
This also is the area where the landing gear exits and the bottom hatch is fitted into the fuselage.
The landing gear exit is relatively straight forward just a 5/32 gap between formers to allow the gear wire to exit and allow for pulling the gear out if needed. The hatch in the bottom is a bit more involved because of the flat bottom of the fuselage superstructure and then the angular keep shape over that. Also the fuselage bottom is on a curve at the point the hatch needs
to be place, then there is a hatch latch needed to release the hatch..
The hatch needs to be relatively long to allow to move the battery pack along it to allow for CG adjustments when motors are changed due to their difference in weight....Continue Reading