HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Micubano's blog
Archive for October, 2012
Posted by Micubano | Oct 26, 2012 @ 09:36 AM | 2,220 Views
A long time ago, on the second day of running my Traxxas Blast, the motor bit it. I open a ticket with Traxxas and they were totally willing to send out a replacement motor, but it they were on backorder. Well a few days ago, the Stinger 540 20T finally arrived and is sitting on my bench waiting for the one I got off of EBay for $4 to die. Hopefully it won't now that I know how to take care of and maintain brushed motors.

So for those of you who have been looking for the Stinger motors, they should be back in stock.
Posted by Micubano | Oct 24, 2012 @ 08:30 AM | 2,056 Views
For my son's birthday, I bought him 6 rockets that required more set up than I have ever done before. Two of the rockets were Estes Vikings, which are mostly cardboard. Fearing balsa wood fins for a first advanced build, I started building a Viking. I realized the instructions were on two different pages and a little out of order a little too late, so there is a good chance fins may fall off this on launch. I did reinforce the fins with model cement last night, but the paint was already on. My son wanted all green, but I added a little orange to the fins to help with visibility. We lost track of other rockets at 600ft, but luckily recovered them. After the test launch with B engines (if it survives), we will try a C to get it as close to 1600ft as possible. I don't expect to get this one back on that launch. Now all we have to wait for is a day when the winds let up. Here is the final result:



Actually, the winds have not let up at all recently at all. One day this week I thought they did and I went outside with my Blade mSR. That was a big mistake. It hit the side of my house and then the chain link fence after a gust of wind made my transmitter useless. The mSR was fine except for the canopy. It cracked from the top edge to the grommet. I threw it on my bench and looked around for something to fix it with. I spotted a bottle of Formula '560' canopy glue that Jodi from Time Flys sold me. He told me I would need it some day and he wasn't kidding. I did one thin coat and let it set. When I saw how clear it dried, I put on a thicker coat. I am still missing small piece of plastic from the top of the canopy, but it is usable again. So to the people at Formula '560' and Jodi at Time Flys, I say thank you!


Posted by Micubano | Oct 13, 2012 @ 05:40 PM | 1,814 Views
I picked up a Blade mSR months ago for $20 the the LHS. I thought I replaced everything from the anti-rotation collar up and it was getting more stable, but I still had problems and couldn't control it for over 15 seconds before it spiraled out of control in what seemed to be a TBE from hell. I spent a lot of time trading emails with E-Flite about what to try next while also thinking the 5 in 1 was bad. Everything they were suggesting, I already tried. Then in the last email, they suggested the feathering shaft. I remember seeing it when changing the main blade grips, but didn't think that it was that important. Now that I have a working mSR, I can see that compared to an mCX2 or mQX that any little adjustment makes a big difference and a slightly bent feather spindle can cause the a lot of tension and vibration in the head. After a few days of tweaking and playing, I had it in a real stable hover outside today and I was able to circle the yard twice.

I have a used SR I picked up sitting on my bench a month ago that I hovered briefly. It needs a really good tune up based on the short hover. Now that I have the mSR working, I feel more confident about owning and fixing.

Finally, in the free items section of the classifieds, MrDusanmandic has been giving away bearing oil kits. I wasn't picked for the free one, but since I have amassed a small collection of helis, trucks, a multirotor and a boat I figured it should be something I should look into. Last night I finally had a chance to use some on my helis and it does seem to make a great difference. I was able to fly my mQX around the living room. I started with just a hover to help work the oil on the bearings, but then decided to do a few laps because it was so stable. I think it was worth the money.
Posted by Micubano | Oct 05, 2012 @ 10:08 AM | 2,377 Views
Before leaving work yesterday, I looked out my window and noticed the rain had stopped. While walking to my car, I noticed the winds that had been battering the area for weeks now have stopped. By the time I got home, flying was all that is on my mind.

I am still hesitant to try the Blade SR until I get my DX6I. Just the sound of the rotors spinning on the SR is intimidating. Thanks to the LHS (Time Flys Hobbies) and their layaway policy, I should have the DX6I in about a month. Last night I decided to do the MQX since after replacing a broken arm and some blades is has become really stable.

My first flight was great, so for battery 2, I decided to stick my little camera on it and had a nice long run with some decent footage. I decided to post 2 versions of the footage. One with YouTube's auto stabilization and one without. If you are looking to just pop quick videos on YouTube like I do without much or any editing, try the YouTube editor and effects.

MQX Long Flight After The Rain - No YouTube Stabilization (5 min 25 sec)


...Continue Reading