HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
kineticartist's blog
Posted by kineticartist | Dec 09, 2009 @ 08:06 PM | 2,763 Views
At last, I have completed all the rebuild of the Tuxwell Sportser. Now for some favorable weather. I'm thinking 40 F, but that will take a few more days.

I had to shorten the control horn to get full movement in the elevons. My biggest concern is enough throw for turning.

The best part of the fix is the return of the bobbed tail, a distinctive marker for art deco.

The CG is not marked on the plan, but it balances about 30% behind the LE with a 2S 1800mah Lip Battery and a 7V Speed 400 with esc and 8-4 prop. I'll start there.

There are more pictures on my Picasa account: http://picasaweb.google.com/Arthur.Higgins
Posted by kineticartist | Dec 09, 2009 @ 02:53 PM | 2,824 Views
Landing gear can tear out the surrounding fuselage if not spring loaded in one way or another. For some reason I forget this when building. I build to the plan and that is the case with the Sportser so on the first flight the LG tore out and took some of the former with it.

So with this rebuild I spring loaded the LG like I usually do. This works very well and saves the fuse. (I thought ahead and spring loaded the LG on the Erla 6A before the first flight. Does this means I'm learning? No. )

I put the gear between two pieces of 1/8" ply and screwed a 1/16" ply plate on top. I use a rubber band of the proper size and then the gear springs back on a less than graceful landing. I use sewing hooks instead of making my own.

Trexler rubber tires are another way of spring loading a landing and I use those too sometimes.
Posted by kineticartist | Dec 08, 2009 @ 12:01 PM | 3,596 Views
Ok, the stab has been installed and the control rods hooked up as well. For this size model I find Hitec 55 servos and mini control rods work just fine.

Remember, this is a free flight model. I don't intend to steer it around the sky much unless I need a diversion. Basically I'll fly it to altitude, turn off the motor and let that puppy fly free, the way it was designed to fly.

I put a couple of solid pieces in the stab for the nylon machine screws. The base in the fuse is 1/16" ply which I threaded and reinforced with CA, it works great.

The servos are on a tray that spans the fuse. I glue them with Silicon glue so I can get them off if I need to. Because the stringers are on the outside of the formers I could blue the control rod sheath directly to the former. This makes I happy.

The home made control horns are 1" for better control. It has been my experience that with this dihedral elevon setup you need a lot of aileron movement to get it to turn.
Posted by kineticartist | Dec 05, 2009 @ 06:54 PM | 2,498 Views
I decided to change the stab of the Tuxwell Sportster to an elevon or Delta configuration because it has a dihedral.

I have done this with the Taillless Mystery and it worked well, but I needed a lot of throw on the aileron part so I'm planning on that with this rebuild.
Posted by kineticartist | Dec 05, 2009 @ 11:57 AM | 2,604 Views
I flew the Erla 6A designed by Van Hereford this morning inspite of the 30F temp.
Erla 6A (0 min 53 sec)
. It flew very well, but it needs to go slow or tip stalling looms ugly

The video/camera worked ok. I need to remember to point the transmitter a little higher on take offs, other than that I think I'll leave it as is. I just have to learn how to point it.

Arthur
Posted by kineticartist | Dec 04, 2009 @ 11:56 AM | 2,469 Views
You would think I would have other things to do. However, when it warms up I'm going to try taking a video of my new Hereford designed Erla so I made a mount for my pocket camera.

If it works I'll let you know , if it doesn't I won't
Posted by kineticartist | Dec 04, 2009 @ 09:59 AM | 2,524 Views
Well, I finished my 5th Von Hereford 1/2A Texaco last night. I always take before the crash pictures to show what I finished before I crash it. In other words, I haven't flown it yet. There is no wind this morning, but it is 21F and I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to flying in freezing weather.

The build was fairly easy. I changed a couple of things, like making spring loaded landing gear and rubber banded wing mount, but other wise it is pretty much as he designed it.

The power is a Speed 400 7 volt Graupner with esc. I bought 5 from Hobby Lobby last month at $10 each. I should have bouth 10. It is probably too much power, but I'll use a 2S 7.4V LiPo battery with a 8-4 prop and see how that goes.

Flight report to follow.

Arthur