HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
klaw81's blog
Archive for October, 2012
Posted by klaw81 | Oct 16, 2012 @ 01:51 AM | 2,286 Views
There are heaps of threads about how to put a Bixler together, and frankly it's so easy that there's not much more to say. But I've finished building mine, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

I've made a number of modifications to the stock plane, in an effort to make it more suitable for FPV. Most of these modifications have been prompted by other threads on this forum about the Bixler - thanks for the assistance and the valuable information about what works.

My whole fuselage was joined together with hot-melt glue. I am hoping this will allow me to open it up again, should the need arise. The whole process only took 10 minutes or so. I also removed some of the more garish decals, and did a paint job to make the plane a little more distinctive. The tail and undersides of the wings have been repainted, and I will probably add some aluminium foil to the tops of the wings as well. This simple trick reflects the sunlight, even on the greyest of days, and is very helpful with long-distance orientation (and lost planes in long grass).

Here's a list of my mods to the airframe:

1. Remove weights from the nose. This is a simple operation, but they're very well stuck with big globs of hot glue. They took quite a lot of force to remove.

2. Additional reinforcing in various locations:
- a 3mm hollow carbon rod about 550mm long in the base of the tail boom fits perfectly into the groove provided and stiffens the whole structure nicely.
- a 2mm solid carbon rod about...Continue Reading