HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
franke's blog
Archive for August, 2012
Posted by franke | Aug 31, 2012 @ 08:05 AM | 2,169 Views
I ordered 4S batteries the other day to get more thrust out of this multirotor since the 3S just aren't cutting the mustard.

Yesterday I decided to go ahead with some weight loss surgery and pulled a few things off. Some go back in while others will not. I have enjoyed building this so building part of it twice is actually fun for me. I am eliminating a second battery plate, second lower main plate, the smaller of the two UBEC and miscellaneous hardwares.

I had to remove the two PDBs and the eight relays to be able to reconfigure the placement to be able to cram in more on the bottom of the lower main plate. I will also try to eliminate a little more of the LED wiring in two of the circuits.

Fun lessons learned... You just can't keep adding and adding and adding things on. Every gram counts and they add up quick. Weights are not always correct as advertised. Covering a battery in black heatshrink adds 10 grams.

Before I ripped her apart.

Posted by franke | Aug 29, 2012 @ 05:21 PM | 2,033 Views
She may need to be put on a diet. She is getting quite portly.

Oddball landing gear. Their goal in life is to be broken off.(She is on her back with legs in the air!)


She has Bette Davis Eyes.


I covered the top piece to help tone down the intensity of the 14 multi color LEDs.
...Continue Reading
Posted by franke | Aug 27, 2012 @ 08:08 PM | 2,100 Views
A Y6 RC multicopter w/ 11" props(not installed yet). My first build ever. NTM 2836 brushless, F20A HK ESC, 3S 4,000mah lipos, 8amp UBEC, 15amp UBEC(LEDs), eight 5v relays, rx controlled switch, two power distro boards, lots and lots of wire and a few LEDs. 283 of them. Will look cool with the huge green props with blue LEDs on them..
Rabbit FC w/283 LEDs - Y6 Scorpion 650 Mod (1 min 58 sec)

Posted by franke | Aug 14, 2012 @ 08:56 PM | 3,176 Views
Been working on this for a couple of days now after figuring out that combing two frames would make this too heavy.

This was what I was going for.


I took the above apart and am now just doing the Y6 config.


ESCs all direct soldered on both ends to the motors.
...Continue Reading
Posted by franke | Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:52 AM | 2,192 Views
I have seen quite a few pictures on here that show work benches that are a complete mess with builds in progress and I wondered why they were so messy.

In starting my first build, I now understand the mess. lol

My idea to combine two Y6 frames into a Hex had to be scrapped. The actual weight of the empty airframes was considerably heavier than what is advertised online. So now I will have lots of extra parts to make repairs down the road.

Getting six 14ga wires plus two LED wires inside a 15mm square tube was quite the challenge. Using all black wires made it even more of a challenge but I wanted them to be less noticeable in the frame where they exit. Inserting the motor and landing gear bolts through all of those wires was interesting.

I made a mistake in locating the landing gear. I didn't take into account the curve of the landing gear so it is a few mm too close to the motor which doesn't allow for clearance of the lower prop. Now I have to move the landing gear over 10mm and drill through the boom that is stuffed full of wires. I will insert something inside the boom to seperate the sidewall of the boom from the wires so I can drill one side without removing the wires.