HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
justj's blog
Posted by justj | Jun 23, 2014 @ 06:45 AM | 1,125 Views
My wife passed in December, 2012 and I lost track of what I was doing for awhile! Threw myself into lots of 'doing things'. I built a lot of airplanes, mostly FFF and a couple depron. I have gotten better at building, fixing and piloting. Getting ready to go out flying in another hour, the sun will be coming up by then. Here in the mountains of Arizona our windy season has been long and harsh this year. We have had days with 50+ gusting conditions. It looks like it might be calming down a little as we approach our Monsoon season. We are getting 2 to 5 days a week now that the winds don't come up until 10am plus or minus an hour. So with sunrise at 5:15~ we get a few hours a day for flying!

Our club has been doing some major improvements on our field. 3,000 square feet of new concrete, a new 18 x 36 'cabana' and 50' x500' of asphalt over our old 50' x 750' chip seal runway. There has been a lot of regrading and a new retaining wall added to the landscaping [the monsoons are coming].

Time to fly!
Posted by justj | Oct 21, 2012 @ 07:27 AM | 1,612 Views
My daughter and 7 year old grandson came for a 2 week visit!
Thought I'd take advantage and had the grandson 'help' build a 36" J-bug, another slow flying, backyard plane. He got to trace the plans onto the FFF and get an introductory lesson in cutting out parts.
Kept us both busy and left the ladies the time to themselves that they needed.
Posted by justj | Oct 21, 2012 @ 07:12 AM | 1,606 Views
Good Morning Everyone!
Time to put a couple things in the blog space.....
I've been spending a lot of time building, not much flying. I can't take the time away from home.
Finally getting smarter and building smaller and slower. I have a bit over an acre and a couple of neighboring backyards to take advantage of......
1st to maiden in this category is an RET Blu-Beagle. 36" x 7.25" U/C wing with 'tip-hedral'. AUW is a needle width shy of 13 ounces. It flew straight, level and plenty slow.... until it was time to turn around.... spiraled into 'lawn dart' mode..... made 5 or 6 flights attempting to do a controlled turn..... stopped when the nose broke through to the battery compartment.
I had to use a 3/4 oz of lead to balance so at this point decided to redesign and replace the fuselage. Stretched the nose to allow the battery to move farther forward and took an inch off the height to save some weight. Got the 'core' cut out so I can trace that onto the 5mm 'skins' and cut those out today.