SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Cagecat's blog
Posted by Cagecat | Dec 18, 2014 @ 06:27 AM | 1,150 Views
Looking back - its been exactly a year since I built my 1600mm MB339 out of foam, For this December'14 project I decided i'm going to try and upgrade to glass.

This is a first for me, to get an exact replica of the foam plane I built and do it out of fibre glass was/is tricky and I didn't want to damage my current model, so it took a lot of masking tape, careful glassing(if there is such a word) and lots of bondo/sanding/more bondo/various layers of primers (3 types) before I found something that works well.

Final cote went on this morning, started waxing the mould's and hopefully get a plug out quickly, then I can do more bondo/sanding/more bondo/various layers and primers, etc.

Update - 22 December 2014.
It being holidays and all i didn't get as much time on the project as I would have liked, but I managed to get the moulds done, and finally got the plug made, Im super stoked at how it came out.

Update - 25 December 2014.
She's starting to take shape, doing a lot of sanding and bondo-ing to get the shape right, i'm deviating from the original 339 design using softer rounder corners, think its going to look awesome, but I might get arrested by the scale police. ....Continue Reading
Posted by Cagecat | Feb 16, 2014 @ 10:55 AM | 1,885 Views
So in December 2013 I thought I want something bigger so I decided to upsize my favourite airplane - the MB339

This is what I was aiming for :

http://www.aviationgraphic.com/860-2...6-am-st-14.jpg

I didn't have any detailed plans, only a low quality jpeg image of the side and top view, the easiest way for me to scale it up was to use an old piece of cardboard and an overhead projector. I projected the image onto the cardboard and traced it by hand.

Below are some Pics I took along the way....Continue Reading
Posted by Cagecat | Jul 10, 2013 @ 02:54 AM | 1,766 Views
So after lots of scheming i finally did it, I would call this my prototype but it works pretty well, so it might be a while before I build the final one.

Ill add more detail on the hardware later.

My CNC Project (2 min 16 sec)

Posted by Cagecat | Dec 02, 2012 @ 02:37 AM | 2,056 Views
My flying sites
Posted by Cagecat | Nov 29, 2012 @ 06:14 PM | 1,946 Views
Posted by Cagecat | Nov 28, 2012 @ 01:45 AM | 2,408 Views
New life for an old friend. I bought this old EPP Aermacchi 339 from Canterbury Sailplanes about 10 years ago. When the patching started to get more than the original covering I decided to strip her and completely re-cover. Cant wait to her back on the slope.
Posted by Cagecat | Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:37 PM | 2,284 Views
So after three crashes, various repairs, and trying to figure out why I kept on getting brown outs, it turned out not to be brown outs after all, I had servo stalls on the eleron servo's. I replaced them with two decent 3kg/cd servos and now she flies like a dream.

Here is the video of my first successful flight, i strapped the camera to the back of my car just to have some proof of the flight.

U2 Dragin Lady (2 min 37 sec)

Posted by Cagecat | Nov 17, 2012 @ 12:47 PM | 2,068 Views
Posted by Cagecat | Nov 17, 2012 @ 12:46 PM | 2,046 Views
Phoenix at Hoogekraal (5 min 45 sec)

Posted by Cagecat | May 14, 2012 @ 04:45 AM | 3,195 Views
I thought I would rather add my pictures, videos and comments regarding my U2 build here.

So I had this idea that I want to build an U2 type spyplane, so without delay I drove to the first place i found in Cape Town that sells EPP and bought the only piece off foam they had left, it was about 1200 x 800 x 250.

And so it start . . .

I couldn't find any proper detailed drawing for the U2 online, so I settled for the drawing of a NASA ER2 as a base and added my own twist. Wings are slightly longer and I widened the wing tips considerably, fuzz was mostly fashioned as i went along, Elevator and Rudder are also a thumb suck and I suspect I might have to change them later on. Added ailerons and flaps, but will also need to do some more with them.

. . . covering all done, I added a 300g piece of led and a nice big battery with BEC to allow for other goodies I want to add later, the total weight is about 600g I had to add to the nose to get the CG right.
Only thing that remains is to make a bottom payload cover, mount the control horns, connect the servo's, add radio . . . and fly .
I am a bit concerned that my horizontal stab might not big enough, but I'm planning to redo the tail section later. Ive also noticed after all the tape and covering the travel on the flaps and ailerons is a bit restricted . . . so if i'm right ill have to cut them off, do a bit of sanding and reattach. But im hoping ill be able to do a successful (ie not crash on fist launch ) maiden...Continue Reading
Posted by Cagecat | May 07, 2012 @ 10:21 PM | 1,502 Views
Phoenix at Chappies (4 min 13 sec)