Posted by spencer6891 |
Jan 26, 2011 @ 09:09 AM | 6,604 Views
After reading the 10,000+ post thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1092043&pp=50) on the FMS P-51 Mustang, I decided it was time to get going on my build. Ok, I didn't read the entire 10,000+ post thread but I read up on the main points of interest regarding modifications. Special thanks up front to All American, JBC, Sandancer, Tom Hunt, TMSN and others for the great tips and tricks and inspiration they have given me to tackle this project.
So, here we go. I have the FMS V5 (Nitroplanes V2) airframe only kit. Here is the tentative list of things I plan to accomplish with this build:
1. Modify the landing gear. Exchange the stock FMS retracts with heavier duty HK 514s, remove the plastic retract housing and install wooden mounts using rails for the 514s, angle gear forward to eliminate nose-over tendancies.
2. Replace plastic and fiberglass tube/spars in the wings with carbon fiber for reduced flex. No tacos, please! Except for lunch...mmm...
3. Install Turnigy 50-55 580kv 1580w motor, Turnigy Plush 80amp esc, Hextronic 9 gram servos and Hextronic 14 gram metal gear servo for elevator. Will be using ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 5S1P 20C lipos.
4. Cut out and re-hinge all control surfaces, install flaps.
5. Replace canopy with better-looking Great Planes canopy, re-paint "Goofie the Pilot".
6. Completely fill and glass entire plane using 1/2oz and 3/4oz cloth and WBPU (Polycrylic), and finish in "Ferocious Frankie" scheme.
I haven't decided if I should do the one-piece wing mod yet. I'll decide that along the way.