HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Libtekguy's blog
Posted by Libtekguy | Mar 20, 2012 @ 01:43 AM | 2,303 Views
I'm having the worst luck with my Hobby King HK500. Its second flight; tail bracket that holds the rudder control arm failed and I lost tail control. Luckily I was only hovering and I landed with out any damage. I replace it with an Align part. The third flight, the HK tail blade grips failed and I lost tail control. Again, I was only hovering and didn't suffer any further damage. I replace the entire tail with an Align unit.

I have a few successful flights and then the HK head fails at the point where it's bolted to the main shaft. Keep in mind these failures weren't locktite issues. The bolts were usually still in the hardware, just sheered off.

I've planned on upgrading to FBL so I've reluctant to spring for an expensive Align head. I instead buy a knock off head from off eBay. This head worked great, I even sprung for some nice Align CF blades. Bam, tail failure. A screw in the tail unit stripped out and allowed the tail to loosen up enough to lose rudder control. I wasn't as lucky in the crash this time and hammered it in pretty hard. Broke a couple servo arms, the canopy, stripped the main gear, bent the hell out of the head, flybar and tail boom.

I decided to rebuild. A guy on eBay was selling the remaining parts of his Trex 500 for $65. This had everything and more that I needed. An Align head, and tail boom were all I was really after in that deal. I upgraded the main gear and motor pinion to a slant thread setup and replaced the servo arms....Continue Reading
Posted by Libtekguy | Jan 10, 2012 @ 12:18 AM | 3,954 Views
I've built a couple field boxes now, both out of 1/8" ply with a number of cool features. My first box had a built in battery, electric pump and 60oz fuel tank along with a Hobbico Power panel and a dozen other cool features.

Now that I have gotten away from nitro and only do electric now (nothing against nitro, I just like the ease of LiPo better) I decided it was time for a new field kit. I didn't want to build another one out of wood because it took me a couple months to finish the last one. I also wanted something even more compact and easier to take to the field. I wanted it to carry my transmitter, charger, LiPos, a few tools and a power source. I looked at converting Craftsman portable tool boxes, but I thought it would be too difficult organizing the things inside it.

So I decided to convert a hard brief case (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details) to suit my needs. The "build" was easy, I pretty much just plucked out the foam in the shapes that I needed and cut the included dividers to length as well. I cut a hole for a speaker box terminal that accepts our commonly used banana plugs for access to my power supply Lipos (four cheap B-Grade 5000 mAh 3S LiPos from Hobby King).

When charging I set my charger on top of the case and plug into the power terminals on the outside, this way the charger has plenty of ventilation. I'm not worried about ventilating the power supply batteries because at full charging capacity I'...Continue Reading