Posted by mutski |
Sep 11, 2013 @ 03:39 AM | 3,438 Views
In light of the unfortunate demise of my EasyStar II, I'm accelerating plans to build a new long-range version. I already have the EasyStar II kit. Additional parts ordered:
I just ordered the following for an EasyStar II and Dx6i controller:
EZUHF Transmitter US$209.00
EzUHF Receiver, 8 channel diversity US$124.00
JST Female to 2.1mm Barrel Connector $4.99
EZUHF JR Style Trainer Cord TX Adapter $9.99
400mW 1300MHz Transmitter - NEW CUSTOM READYMADERC US VERSION $49.99
Transmitter Cable (Large Plug) $9.99
1.3GHz Receiver w/SAW Upgrade (V3 with 1258 MHz!) RX Antenna - 1.1-1.3GHz 8dBi Patch $111.98
1.1-1.3GHz 3dBi Antenna
VEE 1.2 GHz IBCrazy Antenna Tunned for 1280 MHz - SMA Male $14.99
Eagletree OSD Pro Pkg with 100A eLogger/Wire Leads and GPS $215.97
HK 3A single cell brushed ESC (to convert EZUHF PPM to analog for RSSI) $9.94
EXI 9g digital servo-D213F $8.50x4
I plan to use a Turnigy Plush 25 amp ESC and the motor salvaged from the crashed ESII. I'm hoping the Pixim Seawolf camera is also salvageable.
Here is my current Q450 quadcopter setup. Flight time with a 4000mah 3S battery is around 10 minutes at 70 degrees F, 7 minutes at 0 degrees F. I've flown a little over a mile at 400 feet with clear video and solid control. That's about as far as I can fly and return with a 4000 mah battery. First version had a KK2 controller. After replacing it with the Naza, I had to build a second to keep the KK2 employed.
Here is my current Multiplex EasyStar II FPV setup. Max flight so far was 2.38 miles at 856 feet. The video was getting fuzzy at 2.38 miles, and I had several momentary control signal dropouts on the way home, but at 800 feet there was plenty of time to regain the signal.
Easystar II Parts
Turnigy2836 brushless Outrunner 1200kv $18.68 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7992
Dimension: 28mm x 37mm, 55mm(with shaft)
Weight: 74g (kv1200) (not including connectors)
Diameter of shaft:F4.0mm
Length of front shaft:F19mm
Lamination thickness: .2mm
Magnet type: 45SH
Voltage: 3-4S Lipoly
Posted by mutski |
Feb 01, 2011 @ 03:01 AM | 3,781 Views
I got an S107 after Christmas and flew it (WAY FUN ) till the top rotor started slipping on the shaft. I tried to glue it, but got Superglue where it didn't belong and killed it (though I've ordered parts).
I'd already dreamed of something more challenging, so I ordered a Blade MSR - lots more zip, steep learning curve! The biggest challenge was unlearning the S107 controls. What used to be the rudder on the S107 was now the ailerons on the MSR. I don't know how many times I've crashed moving the right stick for rudder!
The MSR is much more fragile. I broke the skids almost immediately by bumping the throttle while holding the skids; I fixed that with thread and Superglue. Then I broke the blade grips smashing into walls. Those were available locally. I finally got the controls down to where I could circle the living room and land on the dining table. I had real fun flying the engine bays at the fire department.
Big mistake, I tried to fly it outside with temps near zero. I think the battery got too cold. Anyway, it made a death dive from 40 or 50 feet up, and shattered the canopy and skids. I taped the canopy and bought carbon fiber skids, but the main rotor wouldn't turn.
Proof of addiction: I ordered a new motor, but I thought it was more likely the 5-in-1 board, so I ordered a new MSR, just in case. I also ordered an MCX2 for a backup and as an easier craft for small rooms.
Then I got the idea from HeliFreak.com to switch the main and tail motor connections....Continue Reading