Posted by jgr |
Dec 18, 2011 @ 08:57 PM | 1,322 Views
I notice I failed to explain in my previous entry the reason for this blog. I purchased this TF P-51 in my Club’s auction a few months back. The plane was newly built and had never been flown. I did a very superficial check of all control surfaces and balanced the plane. Unfortunately, some of the issues were hidden from plain sight. Primarily, the fact that the plane had been built some time ago and the CA hinges were no longer attached properly. In addition, although the installed OS 61 FX was the minimum recommended engine for this plane, it was clearly not sufficient.
I took the plane to the field and one of the most experience pilots in my Club agreed to maiden this beauty. It was only a few seconds after take-off that we realized we were in trouble. To make a long story short, the plane landed in a tree and the right wing was severed. I decided to rebuild the part that was damaged to salvage the plane. However, I did it the long way…. I purchased a new kit (which I will build into an electric plane during the winter) and used the plans and ribs to replicate the parts I was missing and reconstruct the wing. The rest you can see in pictures…
I am getting there with this project. All I need to do now is to fix the battery, receiver, balance and check throws. Other than that I think this bird is ready for a rebirth.
It took me a while to get here. I had to substitute the OS 61 FX that had been installed by the previous owner (builder) for...Continue Reading