HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
isogloss3d's blog
Posted by isogloss3d | Jul 31, 2011 @ 10:59 PM | 1,777 Views
Well here's my progress so far since I started actively flying CP helicopters in January. This video was shot almost a month ago and I realized that flying for cameras and even a non-captive audience makes me nervous - as if I didn't already have enough to work on.

In the past month I've been putting in a lot of time at the field and I'm flying closer to the deck and with a little more confidence and control. I'm also still getting to know my heli and radio programming. I realized that I was mostly flying in idle 1 with a drop in throttle all the way down to 90% at center stick which was causing some bogging and control issues with rainbows and other transitions. It's much easier to fly now with a more consistent head speed.

Many thanks go out to all of the participants in this forum, heli pilots at the field and John Cook for shooting and posting this video.

Eric Stelling 450 sport (4 min 56 sec)

Posted by isogloss3d | Jun 25, 2011 @ 12:38 AM | 3,106 Views
Here are a few shots of the completed build.

Additional Notes: 07/11/11

BEWARE OF OIL RESIDUE IN MACHINED PARTS

Almost all of the machined aluminum parts had excessive oil residue inside the threads. Be sure to clean the threads of all fasteners and threaded holes (toothpicks, q tips and denatured alcohol are your friends) for the threadlock to work properly. I failed to check/clean the holes in the motor mounts and the screws backed out during flight causing a crash.

TAIL ROTOR SHAFT

The one in my kit was not perfectly straight. I cannot find the HobbyKing replacements on their website. The Align TREX 450 V1, V2 and Sport shafts are too short. I found some that work at Xheli.com. These also were not perfectly straight (none of the 4 I ordered).

BEARINGS

Main and tail shaft bearing were garbage and had to be replaced with Align bearings.

WEAK ALUMINUM

The elevator swash ball stripped under light pressure when checking for locktite during build.

The crash (actually managed to land on the skids) completely sheared off the tailboom at the horizontal stabilizer, sheared a link ball on a blade grip, and bent the main rotor head.

I've never had this type of crash damage with Align products. If I had it to do over again I would've bought a barebones Align 450 Pro for $220.

HK 450 Pro GT Belt Version Aerobatic test flight Flight, Scorpion 2221-8 motor (5 min 53 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by isogloss3d | Mar 22, 2011 @ 01:09 AM | 15,938 Views
Blade mCP X Tail Boom Replacement - reuse your perfectly good motor and save $13!

I was sad to see Horizon Hobby eliminate the tail motor plug on the mCPx. They might have done so to simplify the design and eliminate a potential problem area for newcomers however it makes replacing just the tale boom that much more difficult. After a number of crashes, I noticed my tail boom was weakening and flexing more to twisting force. Finally after a hard parking lot crash the boom splintered and broke. My tail motor was still fairly new and tail rotor was still in fine shape. I couldn't justify spending $15 for parts I didn't need when all I needed was a small carbon fiber tube that cost less than a dollar. My LHS didn't have any in stock so I ordered some online. I paid $1.50 for a 2 foot length.

To do this repair requires a soldering iron a pencil file and fine-toothed hobby hand saw. A high-speed rotary tool (Dremel) makes the cutting and filing a little faster but isn't required.

Tools:

• Pencil file
• Fine-toothed hobby saw
• Soldering iron (15-25 watt)
• Ruler
• Hobby knife
• Hot glue gun (optional)

Materials:

• 2 mm Carbon fiber tube (125 mm or more in length)
• Small length of solder
• (2) small lengths of heat-shrink tubing
• Medium CA if not using hot glue

1. Remove Canopy
2. Locate tail motor plug on 3-in-1 unit. You will need to remove the small drop of silicone holding the connector in place....Continue Reading
Posted by isogloss3d | Mar 14, 2011 @ 02:33 AM | 8,748 Views
This setup allowed me to use both the stock E-flight batteries and off the shelf Hyperion 240's which were available at the LHS during time of heli purchase.

This modification required trimming off the bottom portion of the battery mount, affixing some 2-sided foam tape followed by velcro and splicing in a UM pico connector I purchased from HobbyKing.

I've since removed the 2-sided tape and simply use the velcro alone, which provides a cleaner look and better clearance with the canopy.

Although it's a bit sloppy looking, I've had no problems with this setup over 35 flights. The um pico connector has yet to have a problem handling the current draw from aerobatic flight. The Hyperions are providing an additional 45 seconds of standard flight time while leaving the standard 20% battery capacity remaining. One downside is you have to remove the canopy for battery changes. One upside is that this modification adds zero extra weight to the battery/mount assembly, with the only added weight being the small pico connector....Continue Reading