HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
rubberboots's blog
Posted by rubberboots | Jan 03, 2011 @ 10:07 PM | 1,968 Views
Motor and customrcparts mount


EFlite 30A


Bottom of Wing - channels carved with my soldering iron
...Continue Reading
Posted by rubberboots | Sep 13, 2010 @ 05:30 PM | 2,443 Views
I have upgraded the motor mount for the T-28 to an aluminum one by CustomRCParts. The stock plastic one worked ok with a 10X7MAS but when I was testing out an 11X6 a hard vibration destroyed the mount and a cowl (the prop hit it). Rather than pissing around with another plastic mount I upgraded to the aluminum one and it works fantastic. My Turnigy 35-36C is now swinging an 11X6MAS and it is even more ridiculous than the 10X7. I think I'll pick up an 11X7 just to see what happens.

I also built a Super Cub from parts using a CustomRCParts turnigy mount,some extra servos, motor (Turnigy 35-30C), eflight 30A esc, and an ar500 that I had lying around for my very own super charged Super Cub. I power it with the same batteries as my T-28 and use a 10X7 to make the plane really zip. Unlimited vertical until its out of sight. I am temporarily using fishing line as struts until I get a carbon fiber rod installed. Over the winter I plan on installing ailerons, removing dihedral, adding a carbon fiber rod, and chopping the wings.

This will be my "relaxing" plane when I need a break from the T-28. It is lighter than stock, and flies like a donkey (but not as much of a donkey as the stock LP) but I'm hoping once I get ailerons installed it will be a bit more fun.
Posted by rubberboots | Jul 25, 2010 @ 09:48 PM | 2,963 Views
I replaced my stock motor with the Turnigy 35-36C.

The details:
Stock Motor mount
Cowl mods
Turnigy Plush 40A
35-36C
MAS 10X7
Flightmax 3S 2200 mAh

Motor mount:
I used the stock motor mount but I reinforced it with epoxy and I glued popsicle sticks on the back of it to help push the motor forward through the cowl. It wasnt quite enough so I also ended up taking the dremel to my cowl and removed about 1/2" of it so its much shorter. I also dremeled out the prop opening.

Motor
I mounted the 35-36C with no problems. 2 of the screw holes fit the stock motor mount, the other 2 I drilled out. The 2 unused holes I filled in with epoxy.

ESC
Turnigy Plush 40A

Static testing:
32A WOT, I forget the watts it was pulling. I'll re-check it tomorrow and post an update.

First flight with the upgrade
ROG on the first flight with the new motor. WOT and it took off in less than 15 feet. 4 mins of flight ate about about 50% of my battery pack. 2nd flight was a hand launch, again WOT and a light toss and off it went. Another 4 min flight and my battery pack was discharged to about 50%. I can safely get about 6-7 min of flight out of a pack. My cowl modifications didn't go as planned - I took too much off and the motor was rubbing against the inside of the cowl, so I flew the plane without the cowl tonight. The 3rd flight I flew it for about 2 minutes.

With the upgrade the plane hauls. Just over half throttle feels about the same as full throttle on the previous stock motor/prop. Full throttle and it just moves. I didnt test out if it has unlimited vertical tonight but next flight for sure!

A fun and easy upgrade that seems to be worth it! More details to come...
Posted by rubberboots | Jun 07, 2010 @ 02:05 PM | 2,335 Views
Currently flying a stock PZ T-28 Trojan.