HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
SkyCadet's blog
Archive for May, 2012
Posted by SkyCadet | May 27, 2012 @ 11:02 AM | 3,608 Views
I recently had a close mishap with my Lancair ES. This is the plane built two years ago, and is on earlier blog entries. I overcorrected whilst flaring onto a grass field, and nearly stalled the plane!

The plane hit nose wheel first (only slightly), before touching down. I had plenty of prop clearance, and no issues occured per se, except that the nose wheel was becoming increasingly loose (on the fuselage) with significant play ensuing from the hard landing.

I decided to use Dubro 2.5mm (15mm long) capscrews and 2.5mm washers/nuts to BOLT the nylon collets onto the firewall. I used a 3/32" drill bit to drill the holes out where previously the stock screws were positioned, and used some graphite-epoxy to secure the nylon spacer nuts and slightly reinforce the fiberglass firewall where these were mounted. The whole job took less than 1 hour, and is rock solid now.

It does not interfere with battery placement, nor does it affect steering (other than being better than stock!). The capscrews are secured with a 2.5mm nut, and two washers: one on top of the nylon collet (where the gear strut fits into it) and one on the inside of the firewall.

I can now fly on even rougher fields without issue moving forward. I recommend this "upgrade" to anyone who flies this plane a lot, and are looking for a more secure way to have this nosewheel/gear stay in good working order over a large range of landing surfaces. Even flying on pavement, this beefier setup takes all the residual play out of the nosewheel now (except the tiny bit left between the nylon and nose strut needed for smooth turning).

I forgot to shoot some pix before replacing the cowling and prop, but if you refer to the earlier build images on my Lancair ES, you'll immediately see what I did. If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask!

SkyCadet
Posted by SkyCadet | May 15, 2012 @ 06:17 PM | 3,787 Views
Near perfect evening + 70F/21C+very cool RC plane+empty soccer field = a WHOLE lotta fun!

My Pitts went up in the late evening. A fellow was fly casting for practice earlier in the eve, and I did not wish to risk getting tagged on the way down! It would make line RC a whole new thing!

Anyway, it was great. Just one quick 7.5 minute flight, and an awesome TD. I did a few loops a roll or two, a wingover, and some general cruising. Consumed 1550mAh of available 2100mAh (75% LVC on a 2800 battery).

So, I should be able to do around 10-11 minutes flying like that, around 50% and then 75%-80% on manouevers. The kids just love this plane! It's a winner, and one I hope to fly much more this summer. I am just finalizing the CG issue I had in earlier flights to get the plane a bit closer to ideal. Almost have it!

Darren/SkyCadet
Posted by SkyCadet | May 06, 2012 @ 12:27 PM | 3,482 Views
A friend of mine in the hobby recently came across this:

A 4-bladed wood prop without the metal hub that sometimes accompanies some mutli-bladed wooden props...

The hobby store rep said it shouldn't be done. He's run these up to 8000RPM with no issue.

See pics below... He made these with two 2-bladed props! Very nice job, and they balanced and track almost perfectly. He's made several 11", 15" props to date. This one, a 11x7.5, is going on his P51...

SkyCadet