Posted by PeteSchug |
Oct 21, 2007 @ 09:37 AM | 11,821 Views
I looked at the first mention of the L-19 in this blog. That was back on July 29th, 2006. When I read it I found this curious statement:
"An L-19 like the ones I flew behind at Wurtsboro and a Supercub which I also had some memorable tows behind."
I guess I left the reader to wonder what I meant by 'memorable tows.'
I just dug through my log book and couldn't find a reference, but there were actually two tows that stick out in my mind. Both involved getting waved off by the Cub pilot, who, on both occasions, was Dick Paggett. Paggett (I have to check how he spells his name) was a WWII B-17 pilot and at that time, about 1965, he was also partners in a Ka6 with an ex-Messerschmidt pilot. Paggett is eighty-one, still passes his second class medical, and still tows gliders at Wurtsboro. A lot of history has passed under his wings.
The first wave-off (where the tow pilot rocks his wings to tell you to get off) was my fault. The sort of thing that beginners learn lessons from. I was in a 2-22 and had forgotten to set the altimeter. Tows were to 3,000 feet in those days, and it seemed to take forever to get there. A couple of hundred feet short of 3,000 (or so I though) Dick waved me off, and I pulled the release.
It was a slightly eerie flight. The wind was strong and dead smooth and there wasn't a ripple or a bump in the air. I tried hovering, and was almost successful. There was no lift at all and I soon found myself approaching pattern height. I entered...Continue Reading
Posted by PeteSchug |
Oct 20, 2007 @ 10:15 PM | 12,087 Views
This is one of those stories that goes nowhere.
We did everything right but it crashed anyway.
We lugged the L-19 out to the field on a Monday to avoid as much distraction as possible. Jimmy was doing the flying since he also did the lion's share of the building. In fact, it was his plane in that sense because I would never have had either the time or the patience to do the job he did. Both of us worked on it, and we both paid the bills.
We called a few friends who were interested, and most of them showed up before the plane was fully assembled.
Jimmy did a lot of minor engine adjustments, then put on the cowl and the wings. We did a huge range check with the engine running, and not a glitch. There were two lipo battery packs each plugged into a spare channel, and each with it's own switch. The switches are designed to stay on for any failure. They were each tested separately, then both were turned on for the flight.
It took a few runs to get the plane off. It was a bit hard to control on the ground. Jimmy owned a full-scale Luscombe so he is a bit used to planes that don't want to track straight and once he got the Luscombe mind set going he was in control and did a nice takeoff.
Despite our using almost three to one aileron differential the plane had tons of adverse yaw. It needed lots of rudder in the turns. It looked a bit uncomfortable to fly. My Monocoupe looked like that until I put in a huge amount of coupled rudder.