I am using my old oak computer desk that I made about 25 years ago as my build desk. I have made a temporary shelf system for the back of it. I have my bench top tools on a platform just a few feet away.
I have been off work for the past 2 and 1//2 weeks from surgery. Seeing through the slits of my fat eyelids was no longer an option. Yesterday the eye doc cleared me to go back to work this Monday. I drive for a living these days and had to have a written clearance.
So I have been working on one plane or another off and on. Got some rib templates made for 2 different CL planes and rib templates for a new wing for my RC funny wing plane. And even made the ribs for it. Only left my DNA on the ribs maybe 6 times. Simply could not tell the template from the rib stock and way to stupid (and bored) to wait.
So I have templates rib templates made for a scratch build stunter of my own design. 12x50 inch wing.
But what I want to show you is the little trainer plane I Started on 2 days ago.
I have not flown a CL since sometime in the early 90s and thus feel the need to for a trainer that I am willing to loose.
I intend to blaspheme and put a 2.4 ghz radio on the trainer and the 50 inch stunter for throttle.
I was digging around on the shelve of a closet and found some forgotten parts, 2 stabalizers, one that was for twin engine RC plane and pretty decent size and the other come off an old slope glider and much smaller.
I like to re purpose things and after the light bulb came on in my head.
So what I have is the big stab is the wing for my little trainer. It was 8x20" so I added 2.5 inch tips to it for a 25 " wing. That gives me 200 square inches. Seems kind of...Continue Reading
It will be a day or 2 before I can work on any thing. I had a Blepharoplasty on both eyes ( reduced the eyelids on both peepers) yesterday. Not in any pain today but sure am swollen. Using plenty of ice packs on my eyes to control the swelling..
I replaced the rx in funny wing with one from my Kadet Sr. I did not get even 25' with the range check. This rx has never been crashed.
I tried to repair one Airtronics rx that had an antenna that had been chewed on by a critter. I used another antenna from another Airtronics rx, but still it would not pass range test.
No choice but to toss the all Airtronics rx's and servos. that gives me a use for my old Futaba s148 srevos; replace some of the old Airtronics servos.
I tried to test flight Funny Wing and the .25 Trainer
Unfortunately no joy. Neither receiver was working right. No go range test.
I am going to order a pair of Castle Creations Berg 4Ch FM receivers next pay day. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLBY8&P=0
End up making 2 really major changes to The funny Wing plane http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1642992
I had a severe problem with getting the cg correct and the the arrow shaft tail boom was a disaster before it even left the building board.
So it got a new nose (much longer) spliced on and I replace the arrow shaft with a built up balsa tail section.
I now think I am getting close.
This is the little 4 channel trainer. I made one rib template and just started cutting wood and gluing.
The fuse is a little long but that wont hurt anything. I still had to add about 3/4 ounce of lead to the tail to balance it, so I certainly did not overbuild the back section.
When I went to but the wing on with all the servos in I found a major lack of planning on my part. The aileron torque rods would not clear the rudder and elevator servos. I solved that little mistake by building a bit of cabin area on top of the wing mount area. It actual looks better this way I think and might improve flight characteristics a bit.