Posted by Iwanufly |
Jun 05, 2011 @ 09:31 PM | 2,943 Views
This is Atomic Wedgee #6 ready to go to a new home.
Should not have any problems seeing this one.
The pictures don't quite capture the flouro orange properly but it is bright.
Should weigh about 1300g then take another 600g ballast.
I really like this one but it must go to fund other toy planes.
Posted by Iwanufly |
Mar 21, 2011 @ 10:23 PM | 3,364 Views
It's been a while since I added any pictures of the Wedgee's.
I've just sold the first Wedgee (#4) to Astan ( airtimeasto)to take to Weldon to see how fast it will go. No pressure Astan. But hopefully beat my slugish 149 mph.
This one has MKS6125 servos with external bearing mounts. This servo set up is the best I've seen with no detectable slop which is really important on these planks.
I will be refitting my other wedggee's with these servo's....Continue Reading
Flew the Wedgee a few weeks ago at Byron in 20-25 knots and it behaved itself really well, and fast.
Clocked it out of a dive at 115 MPH without any ballast.
Really Happy !!!
Also had a fly at Beechmont a few days later in less than 5 knots and was worried it wouldn't stay up because there was not enough lift to keep other things up. So just on dark I gave it a chuck and it had no problem staying up.
Since then I've been waiting for a big day to DS it but no luck.
I've now moulded a full carbon one that will come out at about 700grams and about 920 ballasted. Popped it out of the mould last night. There is about 24 hrs put into it so far but when it pops straight out of the mould looking like this, it's worth it!!
The carbon one is soooo stiff and looks good too.
Have to build like mad to finish this to take to Manilla next week, maiden this weekend would be nice.
Finally I have popped the first wedgee out and i'm fairly happy with it all.
I had a few problems with water in the airlines when I sprayed the paint but it look OK on the outside.
The carbon spar caps and reinforcements show thru the yellow paint but I can live with that.
Just glad it all released from the mould really well.
It should weigh around 850 - 900 grams (30 - 32oz) and have a wing loading around 16 - 18 oz/ft2.
Oops got the weight wrong, I wish I could read my scales properly!!
It actually weighs just under 600 grams (21oz) and has a wing loading around 11.4oz/ft2 and about 17oz/ft2 ballasted.
I still have to mould the new larger fin and cut the elevons out, but it's getting real close to flying now.
After a lot of work i have finally finished the moulds and layed up the first one last night.
Can't wait to join it and pop it out but i'll have to patient and not get it out too soon.
Going to leave it in the bag for a couple of days first.
Also have a new larger fin plug to finish and mould. The first fin was way to small, don't know what I was thinking. New one looks better anyway IMO.
I hope this thing flies good after all this work.
I would like to have a couple of these for the Manilla Slope Fest in September, fingers crossed.