First of the year approaching fast and with that comes my first "big" plane...the new Extreme Flight 91" Yak 54!
I was lucky to be one of the two winners in the design contest held for the new scheme. Originally the announcement was that the red and black shown below was going to be one of the schemes however, due to recent issues with black Oracover, a darker blue will be used in its place (edit...48" planes are here; 91" scheduled to appear around the first of October...).
I based my red/white/blue scheme on the original "Russian Thunder" design but used the newer "splinter" type stripes and moved the focus point of the starburst up to the motor area instead of the front of the wing on the original. The new Extreme Flight 60" Extra (awesome looking plane!) uses the splinter approach too - it follows the original starburst layout more closely than mine. My design is also inspired by the 50e SebArt SU-29...love the red front but I didn't care for the curved lines at the rear of the fuselage so I used the splinter here too! I have it coming from a point about mid way up the landing gear to give the appearence of busting though the colors.
I'm going electric with her and have had lots of help from the RCGroups folks with setups! I think I've decided on:
Motor: Hacker Q80-8M
Prop: Mejzlik 24 x 10
ESC: Castle ICELITE 160HV and Castle CapPack with Jeti 150A anti -spark
Servos: Hitec HS-7950TH
Batteries: (2) 6S 5000 mAh in series and a 2S 1200 mAh receiver pack