ChillPhatCat's blog View Details
Posted by ChillPhatCat | Jul 08, 2016 @ 10:48 AM | 861 Views
First Pic: I finished the bottom of the horizontal stab with simulated ribs, it's a little rough because I put down the edges first and then the ribs, in the end I'm going to sand off almost all of that wood around the edge, if not all of it.

Second Pic: I decided to lay down the ribs for the top of the stabilizer first, and will just fill the edge in later.

Third and Fourth Pics: Added Former F4 up on top which will be just ahead of the instrument panel, I also added plywood doublers for the wing saddle that extend to the back of the firewall, and I trimmed most of the excess wood off of the front and roughly cut out most of the balsa in the wing area, I'll final fit this once the two bottom wings are complete. I have my engine mount arriving today and will soon be drilling and mounting that so I can attach the firewall. The plans say to shim the motor mount for 1 degree of right thrust, but I'm just going to glue the firewall in at the correct angle.
Posted by ChillPhatCat | Jun 30, 2016 @ 07:50 AM | 1,341 Views
In all of my builds to date I have never been able to get the wings done without being distracted by the fuselage. The fuselage is what gives the plane character in my opinion... it's where all the nice curves are and boy do I like curves!

So I had been thinking about the fuselage for a while... I finally broke down and decided that I needed real professionally cut sticks so that everything is guaranteed straight... Turns out the scroll saw is abysmal at ripping sheets (surprise!). Anyway I waited a couple weeks for fathers day when I knew the sticks would be arriving.

I pre-drilled pushrod guides so that they will basically plug right in when I get to that point... pushrods are another thing I tend to neglect and it takes a lot more effort to run them when you do it later rather than sooner. The fuse is built from back to front with the turtle deck floor used to get everything straight. The lower back formers are glued down to the underside of the deck then I used the bottom stringers to stabilize the assembly. The top half of the fuselage sides were then laid down to further bolster the structure. Next step is to work out the lower wing cradle, toss some plywood in the front and attach forward formers, then the turtle deck is built.

On the wing front I did start the wing tip because it makes the wing look a lot more finished.
Posted by ChillPhatCat | May 16, 2016 @ 08:34 AM | 1,058 Views
Built up the basic skeleton of the lower port wing this morning before work. I'm going to have to come up with a better jig... It was a bear to keep this straight. My notches were not so good in the ribs either... Had to fit each rib twice. Using the hardest balsa I had for these spars, in lieu of spruce.
Posted by ChillPhatCat | May 01, 2016 @ 02:39 PM | 4,600 Views
Well the scroll saw is too loud for the rest of the residents during quiet time so I went about this task the medieval way... It was a pretty productive session. The balsa wasn't too bad but even 1/16" ply is brutal. Still there's some sadistic pleasure to be had cutting pieces with a blade. I'm leaving the paper outlines on the balsa pieces until final sanding to make sure I don't lose anything. Next I need to make cutouts in the big formers for fuel tank etc. and I've got to rip a couple sheets of balsa to get 1/4x1/8 sticks... I'm too cheap to buy bundles of sticks.
Posted by ChillPhatCat | Apr 23, 2016 @ 06:34 PM | 1,489 Views
Bought a propane torch today and took it for a test bend. I'm never bending cold music wire again.

Also I cut out 20/40 of the required ribs. More to come when I start gluing things together.
Posted by ChillPhatCat | Apr 09, 2016 @ 05:36 PM | 1,903 Views
My scroll saw skills are a little rusty but not terrible.
Posted by ChillPhatCat | Apr 09, 2016 @ 12:04 PM | 1,874 Views
I have got the spinner fitted... not as easy as it sounds. I bought a 2" Dave Brown Vortech spinner and the recommended short prop adapter... well with this 12" prop the short adapter was about 1mm too long. I considered trimming it or getting a bigger spinner but decided to look around. It turns out that the OS .25-.46 GP Spinner nut was 1.6mm shorter so I went and bought that. The secondary issue is that the spinner came with a 5mm bolt which is incompatible with just about every nut... including all of the DB adapters! So I also bought some stubby 10-32 bolts... And as you can see it all fits... the prop is even a perfect profile for the cutout in the spinner so there will be no need to trim it.

The other picture shows my prep to cut ribs. I glue sticked them to the sheet and plan to just cut along the pattern... a stack of short pieces to mass produce them.