HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
SPasierb's blog
Archive for October, 2008
Posted by SPasierb | Oct 29, 2008 @ 04:11 PM | 6,469 Views
A couple pals asked me to post these photos from my recent review in Fly RC Magazine. I think they'll be giving this treatment to a Sky Sergio and original Osiris. Here's how I modified my rudder with great success....

I learned that some modelers have had mixed results on the original Osiris using a tape hinge on the rudder. This is likely due to the force of the pull-pull cables acting on the tape adhesive over time. I chose instead to make my own modification by installing a full length CA hinge made from a strip of Coverite Micafilm covering material (reinforced with mica, rip-proof).

I first made up a small jig that placed a single edge razor blade in the center of layers of balsa forming a channel such that the surface to be hinged fit into the jig with the blade positioned at the exact center (see photographs). This made the task of cutting a full length slot in the center of both surfaces very easy. I went ľ inch deep in each half, then carefully beveled the rudder face to facilitate surface travel, and next inserted a full length piece of the Micafilm that was Ĺ inch wide.

Once the hinge was in place and I was confident with the surface travel, I carefully applied thin CA to the entire length. The stabilizer and the rudder are now mated forever, travel beautifully, and the hinge is rock-solid.

Installing the full flying horizontal stabilizer was relatively simple. The center pivot of the stab is installed in the pylon with epoxy, making...Continue Reading
Posted by SPasierb | Oct 25, 2008 @ 04:43 PM | 4,525 Views
Sharing a few shots of this nice little Navy variant B-25 solid nose transport originally constructed by Jim Emery from plans by Mark Rittinger. Yes, thatís all balsa and flat paint you're looking at. Iím now its trustee and after installing a new elevator servo, fixing one stripped aileron servo, getting the motor electronics installed and doing a bit of paint work, itís ready to take to the air once again.

Span is 42Ē and all up weight is 32 ounces. Motivation is provided by a pair of Speed 400 7.2V brushed motors turning APC 6x4 E props on direct drive. Energy is via a 2S (7.4V) 2100 mAh ThunderPower Lipo, feeding a Kontronik Sun speed controller (a sweet deal from the NSP $10 grab box at the recent NEAT Fair!). 7.4V is a significant voltage drop from the 8.4V (or pushed to 9.6V) this bird might have flown with back in the days of round 1.2V NiCad cells, so a really firm throw on launch is planned to get it quickly up on step. Eventually I'll paint out the props in black with yellow tips and do more detailing.

I am tempted to convert this beauty to brushless motors using inexpensive inrunners and ESCís sourced from United Hobbies, but I love the simplicity of a dual brushed set-up and have to go that way first. I am cautiously optimistic that the brushed performance is up to my modest expectations. I'm not looking to tear-up the sky.

Here are a few shots. Will maiden on a nice calm day. Soon, I hope.

10/28 Update: Thanks to some good feedback...Continue Reading
Posted by SPasierb | Oct 17, 2008 @ 04:49 PM | 4,049 Views
ďOldĒ being the operative word here. Iím in the midst of restoring this majestic older bird and I am actually enjoying every minute of it! I have always loved the lines of the Libelle and its V-tail cousin the Salto. Wingspan is 4.5 meters. Weight is Lord knows what. It will fly from the slope, can be winch-launched via two bridle hooks on the sides of the fuselage for flying at the thermal field, and will have a nice new Graupner nose release mechanism for aerotow.

Controls are ailerons (1 servo for each side), flaps (1 servo for each side), spoilers (both sides driven by a single servo in the fuselage), the V-tail ruddervators (2 servos) and tow release (1 servo). It will also be entering the world of 2.4G. Hard to believe it, but thatís eight servos so this sailplane will also get the spendy AR9000 DSM2 9-Channel receiver from Spektrum, probably with one additional remote antenna. And, a honking huge receiver battery to power everything and serve as nose weight to achieve CG.

My first step was to tackle the long, slender wings. Everything was cleaned first with Windex and then again with denatured alcohol. Both tip caps were replaced and painted-out in gloss white. All nicks were painted with a fine touch-up brush and any small stress cracks were first sealed and then painted with an ultra fine hairline brush. Flap and aileron hardware was also painted out with two coats of white gloss and the exposed backing on the aileron & flap control horns...Continue Reading