HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
va3mw's blog
Posted by va3mw | Aug 28, 2009 @ 06:33 PM | 1,925 Views
I made the mistake of building a Great Plains PBY for my first plane. Not float plane, but plane. (More on that later)

After a very bad crash with the PBY, I decided to build a Seawind. In fact, I had the Seawind for some time, but I told myself I wasn't going to build it until I had fixed (recovered), the PBY.

Last night, while at the cottage (alone), I decided to build the Seawind. I even splurged on the recommended motor ($61 CDN) as I was feeling lazy and didn't want to rebuild the motor mount for the Turnigy ones I like to use.

About 3 hours later, I had a finished Seawind. It was close to sunset, so I jumped out in the boat to practice some taxiing. I got a feel for the trim, etc., and I held good to my plan of not actually flying it. Glad I did was I was amazed at the amount of water that got in.

This morning was its first flight. I was actually amazing at how easy it was to fly compared to my PBY. No crashes. Just water (even with taping things down).

After using a few batteries in some winds up to 10 knots, I think I am going to add a 'self draining' hole that will allow water to drain out just after take off. Shouldn't be too hard to do and since it is all foam anyway, the high point of the drain will be higher than the water level.