Posted by deckert |
May 29, 2011 @ 01:59 AM | 5,499 Views
I couldn't believe it. I had 'some' suspicion I might be able to fly today without the freaking winds & rain that's plagued us for the past 3 months. It's been a week since we last mowed the field & I knew it needed it. But I figured why not take a bird out just in case. Good thinking I guess because I managed to get some flights in. Mild winds (5~10mph) but was clear and warm. Mowed a little & flew a little. Perfect! Thank goodness we have a 72" diesel mower because we have about 2~2.5 acres of irrigated grass to take care of. www.higginsfield.com Big old fluffy clouds were welcome so you can see your bird way up high & far out. But.. there's always a but.. it wasn't a great day for the planes.
1. Foamy flyer-lost the landing gear, minor damage
2. 'Big' electric Gee Bee bird died in mid flight. Crashed into field with no major damage
3. Big stick crash (electric) TX sticks springs quit working. Minor damage.
4. 30%Yak LG failed and skidded down the runway. Minor damage but CF LG is toast
5. Tail wheel lost on 40 size Futana, minor damage
6. P40 gasser. No problems
7. Clarences what-ever the heck they are gassers, no problems
I guess in the grand scheme of things it was a good day. No one was picking up sticks and pieces of fiberglass. Plus, the field is mowed!