Seeing as how I'm a do it yourself kinda guy I figured I would try my hand at making a custom mainshaft and my own version of the FBL head.
Using materials I purchased from Mcmaster Carr I was able to make these parts fairly inexpensively.
I'll start with the mainshaft which is a 5/64's precision polished rod made of A2 tool steel costing 2.69$ for 36" so cost per unit minus labor and tools is 19 cents each. The diameter is .0006" larger than the stock mainshaft so it fits with absolutely zero play going through the swash and bearings. This mainshaft runs smoother than the stock one and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
I drilled the holes using a #61 .039" drill. I simply stacked the old mainshaft on top of the new one using tape to hold them together, this allowed me to use the holes as a guide and to keep the drill from wandering. You have to make sure the holes are exactly straight and perpendicular before you clamp them tightly into the vise. My mainshaft is also hardend and tempered which turnes it blue.
To make the mainshaft even better I drilled and tapped the original Walkera head using a #50 .070" drill, drilling right through where the pin was. I used some 1/16" long 2/56 cone tip set screws to hold the head on, the tips of the set screws go right into where the pin was and hold it very securly....Continue Reading