HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
7car7's blog
Posted by 7car7 | Mar 19, 2012 @ 01:57 PM | 2,114 Views
Posted by 7car7 | Mar 21, 2011 @ 01:39 PM | 7,961 Views
This is a build thread for my Cermark Fantasy Racer. Gee Bee R3.
The R3 was never made as a real plane, so, it's called a Fantasy Racer.

My final thoughts on CG are on post 22...

As of this writing, I've seen very few of these planes that are really modified much, seems most of them are flown bone stock for the most part.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330036

...

Here's a semi-finished shot...


Here's a couple pics of the standard plane, as it comes from Cermark.



...Continue Reading
Posted by 7car7 | Oct 20, 2009 @ 03:01 PM | 4,311 Views
So, I had an unworked full Great Planes ARF of the SE5a, but the wings were damaged. (I stole the new wings from this kit for my already flying, mostly stock SE5a that I flew into a goal post). So I decided it was time to do something with the damaged wings and the new fuse.

I really wanted a Silver SE5, so I did some research, and found that South Africa used them in Silver just after the war. I just thought it was a unique color scheme.

I did make a few changes to the "kit".

Undercambered wings (with "D" box construction removed for weight savings)
Posted by 7car7 | Oct 30, 2008 @ 02:25 PM | 3,956 Views
Just finished my latest Moth.
I wanted something different, so I made it LOOSELY look like a Gypsy Moth. But just in the nose, and even that is just "similar". I made the nose completely out of a 2 litre soda bottle. Used GWS glue to join the parts. Pretty much all of it was it's original bends from the soda bottle. I lowered the motor so it came out of the middle of the nose, instead of the top.

I did my usual mod of cutting about 1/2 inch from the struts. I just like the way it looks when the top wing is lower.

The landing gear is modded kinda different. Many have used the extra forward wires to give support, but these are removable. They are bent so that they can be inserted into a carbon fiber tube that goes thru the "battery" area. A rubber band keeps them from coming out, and acts like a shock absorber. Works like a dream.

I installed Pull-Pull on this one. Not sure if it's truly lighter, considering you have to add extra control horns, but I like the way it's so precise, and looks nice too. I did not have to strengthen the eleveator, since I have a pull-pull on both sides acting at the same time. I put in a steerable tail skid too.

Now I just need a pilot or 2! And certainly a couple windshields and dash instrument print out. Will probably add some landing gear fairing too.

With battery, it's at 10.7 oz. Oh, this is a 350 motor. So I'm pretty happy with that weight considering the extra horsepower.
Posted by 7car7 | Sep 18, 2008 @ 11:04 AM | 4,525 Views
Pretty much the same as everyone elses, but a couple little mods.

I sprayed the plane with Krylon Matt.
Added a steerable tail skid
Added Copper screen behind the radiator
Lewis Gun mounted on top wing
Added washout to the ailerons
Wing wires
Landing gear modded with larger bolts, and carbon fiber axle
Posted by 7car7 | Dec 07, 2007 @ 10:52 AM | 4,511 Views
Here's some pics and info about my GWS Pico Tiger Moth. It came with the larger 350 motor.

It's an absolute joy to fly.
I did a few mods to this one, during the build, and after a crash or two.

I started out by puting 1/64 ply on the sides of the fuse. May have been un-necessary, but after my 3D busted twice at the wood pegs, I didn't want to see that again.

Built up the landing gear a bit, works pretty good, but I still get a twisted wheel alignment on some landings.

I put wing wires on, and after a good crash, I added a carbon tube under the lower wing. It's split in the middle, and a wire is epoxied in the tube to give dihedral.

The wheels in these photos are 2.5 Dubro, with paper covers.
But since the pictures were taken, I have foam tires on light 5 spoke plastic wheels. Much better on sandy baseball diamonds.

I wanted a way to get the battery out easy, but make it a bit nicer than just slinging it underneath with rubber bands. So I made a little foam box with a door. The rear half of the box open up when the rubber bands are slid over. I have a 2 cell, 800mah, but I made it big enough for a slightly larger battery.

As far as paint, I just used some very light coats of regular enamal spray paint. Couldn't find what I wanted in acrylic.

Oh, one last mod I did, which is my favorite. I reduced the height of the struts by 5/8 inch. That brought the top wing down a bit, and also back a bit.
I was not happy with the very high top wing on the stock moth.

I've had this plane in some pretty stiff wind, it does great! What a fun plane.

Oh, forgot to mention - AUW is 13.2oz - remember, it's a 350.