Posted by Lberry.88 |
Jan 30, 2011 @ 02:57 PM | 5,559 Views
Thought I should finally add another blog entry; it's been long enough now, I may even have something interesting to write about!
I just spent 3 1/2 hours today trying to get a plane down from a tree. I have so far avoided those trees during my time in this hobby (preferring instead to damage my planes with the ground) but today saw and end to that achievement. My flying buddy (and housemate) Tom went out this morning with a few ultra micros and a new Cessna 182. The Cessna only had a brief maiden the day before, when the strong winds forced me to abort, but today was calmer. And today we tried a new flying field; normally we fly at a local playing field, using the long jump runways as our runways, but today we went to a very empty farm track leading to an industrial estate.. Basically all of the ultra micros survived (some nice inverted flying from Tom on the Champ) but the Cessna had a more interesting day:
Things started badly for her when the screwlock on the control horns for the rudder had slipped slightly meaning that the rudder was on full right. More annoyingly I had left the screwdriver at home I managed to centre the rudder by adding ALL the subtrim I could and all the trim i could - i rarely use the rudder, and this made sure of it! So off we went for the first flight.
Hand launched her, and she slammed straight into the ground - turns out that during my control surfaces test the elevator screwlock had slipped on its control rod, leaving the...Continue Reading