Posted by bmw330i |
Jan 18, 2011 @ 03:25 PM | 2,951 Views
Been a long time since I updated. I'm going small in 2011. Small UAV, small multi-rotor.
My Multi-Rotor is based on the KK Multicopter project. Using 6A ESC, small motors, small props and the KK "Blue" board from South Korea I have a tiny little quad now. I'd like to take what I learned and make a small Booz quad next.
Here's a photo of the little quad.
4x Turnigy 6A ESC
4x Tiny brushless motors (came in a kit from the Korean vendor for the KK blue board)
1x Spektrum AR6300 Rx
1x KK Blue Board
1x wooden frames
Flies great. However, a bit quirky to get flying. Seems you have to hold it with the power on to calibrate the gyros. I found this out by accident as it was not flyable due to wobbles until I held it 1/2 throttle in my hands stable. I noticed the problems went away and it seemed flyable. So I put it down and it flew. Interesting.
Next I plan to mount a tiny 5v video camera and Tx to fly it with goggles around the house/yard.
I am so happy with my Walkera 60 right now. I just got done with a 15-20min flying session that was as good as it could get. I live on a pretty good sized lot so I have plenty of flying room. Tonight I just circled around and explored every inch of the property with my 60...landing on the trailer roof, the jacuzzi cover, buzzing the weeds, circuits around the yard low and high...
I just finally have it almost perfect. I really am convinced the magic was going 2.4ghz. It's just such a different experience to fly without glitches of any kind.
It has been a long road though...very long...crashes, glitches, replacing everything, putting the stock radio back in...who knew it was all so easily solved with the Futaba 6EX system
Now...my mission this weekend is to get the TREX in the air
Here's a picture of my perfect Dragonfly 60
This is how to make one:
- Get a Dragonfly 60 barebones kit (around 100.00 - 150.00)
- Add the CNC metal head and tail upgrades
- Get a Futaba 6EX 2.4ghz system
- Get 3 Hitec HS65-HB servos (Cyclic)
- Get a Futaba 3154 digital servo for the tail, mount it with a TREX 450 servo mount
- Get a LogicTech 2100T gyro, replace Walkera Gyro (my G007 died)
- Get some 2100mAh 15s or better LiPos (3c)
- Replace Walkera ESC with a 30A ESC of your choice (only needed if yours died like mine did)
- Replace Walkera motor with Gunther 400 Brushless
- Add Carbon Fiber Shogun / Zoom 400 blades (add higher headspeed)