Posted by Chino Tom |
Jul 17, 2007 @ 10:14 AM | 5,548 Views
Just a few notes about my small Alfa airforce. The replacement Spit is still in the box and will be for a few more week. The Martlet (Wildcat) is a delightful flyer. I'm very pleased with the speed 300/gearbox combo will a 2 cell 1320 lipo batterey and gives plenty of power for scale like performance. A couple of issues I've had with the Martlet include the hatch poping open at the rear as the small dowel that holds it in place moves past and above the fuselage.
The problem it seems was I added multiple cooling holes to the cowling in between the molded engine cylinders and this was pressurizing the inside of the fuselage. With no where for the air to go, it was pushing the hatch open at the rear. I added two exit holes approx 3/8" dia to the lower fuselage at the wing trailing edge and this seemed to solve the problem. I also increased the aileron throw for a not so scale like but crisper roll. The 35% expo on the ailerons and elevators remains unchanged. Really a nice flyer.
The Wurgers first flight was this past weekend and I was suprised (shouldn't have been) at how effective the ailerons were. In Eric Browns book "Wings of the Luftwaffe" he comments on how effective and powerful the ailerons are at all speeds up to 400 mph. He noted that the FW rolled significantly faster the the Spitfire or the ME-109. Even though my Alfa experience is limited, this FW-190's ailerons are much more effective than the Spits and Martlets. Smaller control movements are required to fly the FW-190 smoothly (or I could add more expo!). I'm looking forward to more Wurger flights. The performance from the Blue MP is great.
I really like these Alfas. Researching the markings and the planes gets me to bring back out and read books on WW2 aircraft that I have been collecting for 30+ years. The hard part is deciding what might be next!
Posted by Chino Tom |
Jul 02, 2007 @ 09:51 AM | 5,823 Views
With the left over decals from my tree bound Spit, I decided to convert the Alfa Wildcat to a Martlet. The markings are of Eric "Winkle" Brown. Eric was a Royal Navy pilot who is most famous for his late and post war flights in captured German WWII aircraft. I have his book with flight reports of the aircraft he flew. Worth picking up. I powered the Martlet with a speed 300 and gearbox (like the Alfa's used to be sold with) because I had a speed control from a previous park flyer and the $30 for the motor/gearbox was a bargain. I flew it for the first time Sunday and with my typical Alfa set up (35% expo), it flew great. Almost flew right out of my hand with 1/2 throttle.
It was a little hard to see (getting old) and I have added a couple of white stripes to the top wings and tail. I really like how these Alfas fly and bought the Martlet to gain experience (still haven't flown the 190 yet and the replacement Spit is still in the box) after D9 commented on what a nice flyer it is. Again used D9's attenna tube idea and the Marltlet has a nice exit area under the rudder. I am pleased that the speed 300 with a 2 cell 1320 lipo has plenty of power. The Martlet weighed 12.4 oz RTF.