HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
DustyPockets's blog
Archive for May, 2009
Posted by DustyPockets | May 25, 2009 @ 10:54 AM | 3,065 Views
Picked up a Multiplex Funjet the other day at my LHS. It had a damaged box and one wing had been torn a bit and deformed but seemed easy enough to repair, I asked the guy how much he wanted for it.......$20.00....the Funjet was soon out the door.

After a much to quick browse of the Funjet thread in the Kit Foamies forum, I assembled the kit. It looks like most guys were building for speed with some 28mm Inrunners, I dug a ARC 28-37-4 out of my EasyStar, after a quick throttle run up I decided I had better go with a milder set up. This is my first jet and I expected it to be a real handful, I also had a mental image of my fingers getting into that prop. I ended up with a 3100 kv outrunner and a 5.5x4.5 prop with a Zippy 1300 3s.

The light set up worked out better than expected, and the Funjet turned out to be much easier to fly than I thought. I tend to fly it about half throttle to keep the noise down as I fly in our soccer field.

Thing went well for a week or so but clearly should have built it much better. First incident was a broken nose trying to fly with a 12v Bosch Litheon pack from a compact drill the little outrunner didn't have enough punch to get that heavy pack in the air. A Carbon Fiber tail boom from an old Blade CP Sumo glued into the fuselage, some CA and strapping tape soon solved that problem. Next I tore off the entire motor mount along with quite a bit of foam, simply not enough glue. I reinforced it with more Sumo along with a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe from an drain extension tube.

I plan on keeping it light and slow for a while then maybe step it up with a bigger motor later in the summer.