HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
burkefj's blog
Archive for January, 2012
Posted by burkefj | Jan 22, 2012 @ 10:44 PM | 4,484 Views
This is one of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid. Always wanted to make a flying "Argo" from Starblazers.

Here is the progress so far, got the profiles made, trim monokote applied this time instead of paint, applied the details with a sharpie. Dry fit the pieces together.

Length is 45 inches, wingspan is 20 inches, dry fit weight is 6 ounces.

Came out at 12 oz rtf with E-6 rocket, two hs-55's, spektrum rx and 1.5 ounce battery and 1 ounce nose weight.

Update 1/25/2012

got in four test flights today! It was just a bit tail heavy on the first three flights and the up trim was a bit too much for glide. I moved the battery forward and adjusted the trim for the final flight and it was great.

Here's the video.

Scratch built Starblazers Space Battleship Yamato RC rocket boosted glider (1 min 18 sec)


Frank
Posted by burkefj | Jan 04, 2012 @ 01:49 PM | 7,848 Views
Started this this morning, an upscale of my bomarc pusher or rocket boosted glider, this will be for 29mm rocket motors.

The nose looks a bit short since the top view is not on the centerline of the fuse, due to the high mounted wing, the side view nose will be another foot longer. Length will be about 80 inches, and wingspan 30"

Update 1/08/2012 Finished the ramjet pods, with carbon rods installed to go through the fuse and styrene skid reinforcement. I wanted to keep the air flow through the ramjet pods to reduce drag, so I left the front tapered portion profile and did an xform support for a thin bt101 tube for the rear portion, and wrapped them with chrome monokote. I think it will give the right look but still be fairly light. The body tubes added almost 4 ounces of weight.

I made a 12" spruce bar to mount the rail buttons on and installed them into the fuse with carbon rods to glue into the fuse for support. I then laminated styrene sheet on both sides to support it and to act as support for the ramjet mounting rods to go through. It seems pretty stiff. Ready now to slice the top fuse and slot and tab it and attach to the top view.

Update 1/09/2012, finished it except for the tan nose. Total weight with balast and motor rtf is 39 ounces. Looks like it will be a candidate for G-33's.

Update 1/11/2012 Test flight success! G-40 was a bit hard, the G-33 was a better boost, glide was pretty good, it was windy and the model wanted to bind on the...Continue Reading