Posted by kenelder |
Nov 20, 2014 @ 05:05 PM | 759 Views
Here are some pictures of my scratch built F104. It is built from plans of a ducted fan version originally designed in Europe somewhere. The plans were reduced 3/4 size to fit a 90mm fan. I have modified the original design; the airfoils have been changed to Selig model airfoils. Original plan airfoils were 10% thick symmetrical section and after watching a friends' model with that airfoil I decided something with more lift would work a lot better. Used Profili, the airfoil software, to compare the original symmetrical section to various other sections and ended up with the Selig foils. Lift coefficient was 2.5 times the original section at the root, 3 times the original at the root.
There were other changes such as moving the elevator servo to the tail, but those were all minor. Other than the airfoils my model is exactly like the plans at 3/4 size. Fuselage is 48" long.
I have not weighed it recently but it carries a 6 cell 2700 battery, 100 amp ICE speed control, and a Wemotec midifan powered by a Mega motor.
I also used my own design takeoff dolly. I did not want to risk a bungee launch withe the new airfoils and all the work put into it. Much to my surprise, the dolly worked perfect from the very start. As I like to taxi onto the runway, the dolly includes its own receiver and nosewheel steering servo.
The F104 lands on its belly on a long strip of fan belt rubber glued to its bottom. This works great as a brake- although it lands relatively fast, it stops in about 10 feet. This lets me feather it down to the runway without worrying about running off the end.
The color scheme is from Darryl Greenamayer's low altitude speed record holding F104 back in the '60s or '70s.