Posted by jbrumberg |
Oct 21, 2013 @ 07:39 AM | 1,977 Views
The inevitable approach of Winter and the realization that flying in less than ideal conditions- like early morning dew (if I really want to fly over grass) is a condition with which I usually have to deal throughout the year; I finally got off my fat old arse and did something about this. This is my first attempt at dealing with wet ground/landing surfaces:
I cut up an old plastic bleach bottle laying around to fit within the canopy shape of the starship shape of the X1. I attached some velcro stuff on the inside to match the stuff that I had already placed on the frame and put some other velcro stuff on the other side of this "fashioned" plastic plate to mate with the velcro stuff I have attached to my lipo batteries. In reality with some nanotech spray (and/or silicon spray apparently (?) maybe?) the PCB underside and silicon spray on the motors I probably would be "OK" with the original setup. Weight of the X1 w/o the plate is 62.8 grams and with the plastic plate and all the velcro and scotch tape holding things together and creating additional weather sealing 69.7 grams. Initial test flights this AM were promising.
Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
I will be looking at adapting this for unanticipated landings in snow.
Posted by jbrumberg |
Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:25 AM | 2,576 Views
Since the purchase of my 808#16 version 2 A lens I have been trying different methods of connecting the videocamera to my SYMA X1. The major challenges with which I am currently dealing (in addition to figuring out the 808 itself and all the programs associated with the 808's operation) are payload weight and quad rotor blades created chassis vibration which causes jello effects during video recording. Balanced rotor blades is key to reducing vibration. I am still "experimenting" with these and other setups.
I chose earplugs as my first anti-vibration barrier due to information that I was reading on the interner. "Moon gel" seems to be getting a lot of attension, but I do not have any at this point. Packing bubbles are also recommended.
I have not yet tried any of these materials for vibration control at this point.
Any additional ideas and/or recommendations other than seeing a psychiatrist would be greatly appreciated.
Today I am cobbling together a magnetic prop balancer for my SYMA X1 rotor blades. I got the basic ideas from other members here, and I bet that I am not alone when it comes to purchasing a magnetic prop balancer that could not accomodate smaller sized propellers/props. I bought a Top Flight precision magnetic balancer and discovered that the balancer shaft was too large in diameter for the X1 blades. I knew that a 1/16" drill bit works for a shaft so I started digging around in my RC junk yard for whatever parts I could use to make this unit work. I found that the old FM style antenna's end section was a little wider than 1/16" and would fit through the hub diameter of the X1 blades, and it was ferrous. I found that a SYMA S107G boom would slide over the antenna section and was not magnetic and that it would snug up inside the rotor blades recessed areas on both sides of the rotor hub.. Those balancer cones actual fit very nicely over the tail boom. A little cutting and polishing and with some hypodermic needle rubber pistons for end stops I am good to go.
The insidious process of my “path” and the RC phenomenon began as a Christmas “gift”.
It was a clone of a clone of a clone of a 400 Size Class indoor/outdoor coaxial. “Inside” flight was hair raising at best. It DOA’d with an outdoor hard landing- landing skids undamaged; split the “Corpus” in two.
I really had no time to grieve. I already had another, slightly smaller heli; another coaxial, and a lot of and I mean a lot of replacement parts.. Again it was a little “large” for the house, but it possessed relatively “acceptable” outdoor flight characteristics in calm weather. “Acceptable” did not last long. After numerous, and I say numerous upgrades and modifications this heli was capable of “decent” flight in calm to no wind conditions. I also became very adept in the assembly and disassembly of this heli without even losing screws!!! It was also very capable of chasing me down my driveway during periods of disorientation . I also learned the concept of “ballooning” . It was at the end of “practice” and flying too good in fact. It caught some wind and away it went. I did not see the “puff”, but I did see and hear the crash . It was pretty spectacular , too bad it ws my heli . It is still MIA in either my woods or my neighbor’s. If he had seen it I am sure he would have taken immediate and I do mean immediate anti-aircraft countermeasures with this uninvited intrusion into his airspace with at least a shotgun . I really did not have time to grieve...Continue Reading
Childlike Activity for Adults
Retired; married; live on a hill in the woods west/northwest of nowhere
United States, MA, Cummington
gardening, cooking, tractoring, sailing, kayaking, and now RC'ing
Retired. I was in the human services for 30+ years.