New Products Flash Sale
mejmea's blog View Details
Posted by mejmea | Feb 06, 2016 @ 08:03 AM | 1,265 Views
I own a LX Models F4F Wildcat from Banana Hobby. IMO, one of the very cool things about a Wildcat is the way the main landing gear is constructed and retracts. It's a complex set up and as a result you don't see many examples of it in the modeling world. The LX Wildcat actually has retractable gear which is one of the things that attracted me to it. Unfortunately, the way the retracts were implemented leads to them going up or down VERY fast which doesn't look great.

After playing around with various ideas I devised an add-on circuit that will slow down the retracts on the LX Wildcat by roughly a factor of 2. While still not scale (the retracts on the actual Wildcat were hand cranked) I think this mod makes the retract sequence look significantly better although that is, obviously, a matter of opinion. It would be nice if they were still a bit slower but without a complete re-design of the original retract controller board I don't know how to do any better than this.

There is a YouTube Video here and I've attached a write up with further detail on how to create this mod yourself to this post.
Posted by mejmea | Nov 17, 2015 @ 09:17 PM | 1,965 Views
In case it is useful or interesting to anyone, below is some performance data I took a few weeks ago related to using different pinions and propellers with the standard 1S UMX gearbox, the BLH3327 motor, an XP-7A esc, and an Eflite 150mAh 45C battery

Test notes:
- I used a UMX P-40 and a UMX P-51 (V1) as the test-beds. Ideally it might have been best to use just one aircraft to eliminate variability in drive train but it was easier this way and I don't think it really influenced the results.
- Each test was run at WOT until LVC was reached. The results shown below are for one battery. I ran a parallel set of tests with a second battery. The second battery turned out to be weaker than the first. As a result they simply confuse the overall picture so I didn't include them in the graphs below. The trends between different pinions and props were similar between the two batteries however.
- Prop RPM was measured with a standard optical/visible light tach
- Thrust was measured by hooking the tailwheel of the aircraft to a small load cell and letting the plane pull against the cell while resting on its mains.
- RPM and thrust were not measured simultaneously because my set up didn't allow that to be easily done. Thus the graph where thrust is plotted as a function of RPM is the compilation of data from separate runs. Not ideal but...
- My personal preference is to use a scale looking prop as opposed to going for the absolute best performance. Hence I...Continue Reading