Posted by Liberty10 |
May 31, 2015 @ 06:10 PM | 2,625 Views
I have a history of not liking bell cranks. I hated doing them in wings back in my building days so I switched to using flexible cables instead. It can be routed thru pretty much anything. to make them work you only need to secure the two ends of the sheath.
I went through more than a dozen nitro motors back in the day but the 76" MXS is my first gasser. I did not know how much manipulation the choke would need and I was not putting myself in the position where I would have to reach behind a spinning prop to turn the choke off. So through the front did not seem a safe option for me. Even though after almost 4 gallons I have never had to use choke to get it to run I still like having the choke accessible on the side of the fuse behind the cowl.
If you look close in the pictures, you can see the choke arm is at a bad angle and to use a rod straight through the bulkhead, the relief hole would need to be big enough for the arm to go through.
The flex cable eliminated any need for that. With the angle being so sharp I needed the hole to start right at the edge of the box. To do this I clamped a scrap piece of balsa to that bottom corner of the motorbox (see illustration) so I could drill thru the balsa first to make sure I had the angle right before I drilled the motorbox and the balsa block clamped tight to the MB has the added benefit of keeping the MB ply from splintering up as the drill rips sideways thru it.
The side of the fuse has a solid area and the side of the...Continue Reading
This was given to me by a flying buddy after he crashed it in 1990. He told me he got it from an old timer (haha now I'm the oldtimer) that originally built it in the early 1970s. It was originally covered in fabric and dope then painted yellow. There is yellow paint on the inside and bits of fabric stuck to the innards so it sounded about right to me.
I had to rebuild about half the wing and half the horizontal stab. I had to fix the nose of the fuse and then recovered the whole plane. I'm pretty sure I covered it with oracover because it was cheaper than Monokote back then. I just copied the sheme that the guy I bought it from did. I put a Supertiger 61 ringed motor running a 12x6 master airscrew. (EDIT: Ok it looks like I was flying it with a 12x6 Zinger wood Prop. towards the end .) I never sealed up the hinge gaps so if I got a little too much speed up it would flutter something terrible. It was a ton of fun to play with the flaps and I had a setup on my old Futaba that when I flipped the switch it would deply full flaps and down elevator and it looked like I'd hit the brakes. It would roll and take off in about 5 feet. I could do a small oval and land exactly where I had taken off from in under 10 seconds. The covering is very brittle and I don't trust it but I do want to recover it and take fly it again for the nostalgia of it.
Oh and if you look close you can see where the wife's Cockatiels got some this one too.