HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
ChrisNYPilot's blog
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Apr 17, 2014 @ 07:39 PM | 781 Views
Made from 1x6 Cedar Boards, book rack system from Lowes or Home Depot, and foam pipe insulation to protect the wings.
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Apr 05, 2014 @ 05:34 PM | 1,083 Views
Parkzone Visionaire (2 min 9 sec)

Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Mar 23, 2014 @ 07:59 PM | 871 Views
Just some brushed on Acrylic Paints from Michaels.
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Feb 17, 2014 @ 07:53 PM | 1,706 Views
I liked the plane so much I reconfigured the original Sukhoi to match. So it now also has the larger SK3 4240-740kv motor and a 6" diameter plywood firewall. I actually went about a centimeter shorter on the nose. We will see how it flies. The rudder and elevator were already super responsive as compared to stock. I actually just finished reprogramming my DX7 to reduce the throws in low rates on the rudder to keep my KE spins from falling out into Blenders.
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Feb 01, 2014 @ 06:07 PM | 1,524 Views
I ordered a spare fuselage from Dynam when I tanked my other Sukhoi, so I had this spare fuselage laying around. Anyone who has ordered spare fuselages knows that they don't come with anything installed - no servo plate, no motor mount, no plastic pieces to mount the wings, no plastic nuts to mount the tail. As such this had to be a custom job just to get this plane together. Things I did:
1) Bought a piece of Bud Nosen 1/8th inch Aircraft Plywood and cut it into a six inch circle to match the diameter of the Sukhoi nose. Then, with a butcher's knife, I cut the entire nose off of the plane. I actually shortened the nose by about an inch. Then I lined up the motor mount on the plywood, drilled the holes, and installed 4-40 blind nuts to mount the x-mount.
2) Then I hot glued the 6" Plywood Circle to the nose of the plane and cut back the cowling to where it would line up with the 6" circle. Then I hot glued the cowling to the plywood. I of course mounted the motor and drilled holes for the ESC wires.
3) Rear mounted the Elevator and Rudder Servos. This made it more tail heavy but that was OK b/c I was going to run a heavier motor, an SK3 4240-740kv which is 50 grams heavier than the stock motor. It all balanced out fine. I actually run a 3000mah 4s and have wooden dowels hot glued into the inside of the plane and Velcro straps to secure the battery slightly further back.
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Jan 11, 2014 @ 05:57 PM | 2,091 Views
This was the most time consuming plane I have ever put together. Hopefully the maiden flight will go well. Anyway, it balances perfectly with a 3000 mah 4s battery. I made a custom battery tray for it out of basswood which was supported by layers of blucor foam (actually green from Lowes). I am using the original motor and motor mount from a Dynam Sukhoi and a 13x6.5 prop. The motor mount is screwed into the orignal gas motor supports using 2" wood screws. Then I made some blucor insulation support for the upper and lower sections of the motor mount, those are hot-glued in. The kit, which I got for free from a neighbor of mine, was missing some parts. Most notably, it was missing the part that allows you to hook up the nose steering. So, I custom mounted a servo nearby and hot glued a wood dowel (with a servo arm screwed and glued to it) through the spiral spring of the front landing gear. Hopefully it will stay together. :-)
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Jun 29, 2013 @ 11:59 PM | 1,957 Views
I did some video editing stuff to zoom in at certain points, added some music, and some film effects at the start and end of the video. Anyway, I hope you like it.

As an FYI, the music in the video is a karaoke version of the song and is definitely not the original band. But it works for the video and shouldn't cause any controversy.

Dynam Sbach 342 (5 min 19 sec)

Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Jun 28, 2013 @ 11:38 AM | 1,947 Views
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | May 09, 2013 @ 08:36 PM | 2,069 Views
Posted by ChrisNYPilot | Apr 28, 2013 @ 09:48 PM | 2,202 Views