Finally!!! I have had this plane laying around for 3 years and finally got around to finishing it. Its my first gasser and was a little intimidated by it. Its powered by a older Zenoah g23 which should move it around fine plus it added all the nose weight this plane needed. Still have to dial in the throws but should have it to the field soon.
Here is my scratch built Morane Saulnier AI built from Ziroli plans. I think it is a 1/6 scale. It is still waiting for an engine and electronics but I am in no hurry. For right now its just going to look pretty hanging from the ceiling in the shop.
Here is the finished Snow Racer. Will probably be next winter before I get to test it again.
Finally got some color on the snow racer. Of coarse my heatgun had to blow up first thing when I started the covering. Will have to go back and get a few wrinkles out. Still no snow in the forecast so hopefully its just waiting til I get it done.
Build Log / Posted by squirrel40 / Jan 06, 2013 @ 02:42 PM / 3,844 Views / 23 Comments ( 1 2 ) / Reply
Nothing to do during Ohio winters except build something. I ran out of airplane kits to build and wanted to build something to use during the winter. This thing is different and there isnt anything to reference what will work and what wont. So here goes, I dont even know what to call it. Its like a prop driven snow sled.
Got this from a buddy that ripped the landing gear out a couple times (typical for Great Planes ARF's). Beefed it up alittle and changed out the landing gear to a straight one rather than the swept it comes with. I installed the trusty Irvine 46 and hope it will be enough power for this plane. I had some left over graphics from another project so I used all the leftovers on it. The extra graphics came from CFC Graphics and he makes quality graphics for a reasonable price. Should be able to get my first flight on it later this week.
Finally got around to maidening the Kobra. I was suprised how well it flew and very little trim needed. This is the 3rd flight and I was having fun racing it around.
|Sig Kobra (3 min 53 sec)|
The wife bought me this at a swap meet for my birthday after she has been telling me I have way too many planes for the last 2 years. Women dont make sense but I am not going to complain. It is a GP Extra 300sp 46 size. I put my Irvine 53 on it so it should have enough power. Now I just gotta be able to get to the flying field.
I had so much fun racing my Ultra Sport last season I decided to step it up and get a pylon racer. A friend of mine hooked me up with this Viper and another kit and engine. Great Planes doesnt do a very good job covering these things so I recovered the top of the wing. I still have to put the engine on and do alittle finishing up. Take a good look because you might not see anything but the back of it at the field.
I just picked this up the other day from a buddy selling it. It is a 1/4 scale Gee Bee Y and I think its a scratch or kit build from Henry Haffke plans. It has a 90" wingspan and more detail than I ever put in a build. Whoever built it set it up for a static model so it doesnt have an engine or electronics in it yet. I have about 6 months before next flying season so I have plenty of time to get it going.
Here is my Sig Kobra. Its almost ready to take to the field for its maiden. I installed a Evolution 36 for power. The covering is metallic red monokote with hand cut checkers on the bottom. Hope it flies as good as it looks.
I got 2 of these engines the other day. Didnt know much about them but they are pretty cool. I was watching youtube and seen somebody made a twin out of them. How hard would this be? I'm not much of an engine guy but I'd give it a try.
|HP 21 VT Twin Testrun (0 min 53 sec)|
After 5 years I think im going to get it in the air finally. This plane was my 2nd kit build and took forever to frame up and cover.I cleaned off the 5 lbs of dust and installed an Irvine 61 2 stroke.Install the servos and make a trip to the hobby store to replace all the hardware the got misplaced.
As with most trainers mine bit the dust a few times. This is my kadet sr after I totally rebuilt it after I overshot the runway and didnt have enough power to save it. This time I added ailerons and made it a taildragger. I also changed the engine from a os40la to a Supertigre 45. The engine made a huge difference. I forgot how much covering it took to cover it the first time but liked the 2nd paint scheme better.
|sig kadet sr early morning flight (4 min 41 sec)|
I have had this plane laying around for a couple of years and finally got it put together to fly. Its a Direct Connection Yard Dart II that I got from a buddy that was mostly framed up already.It was designed for competition fun-flys and pretty much just a fiberglass tube with a wing attached.To my surprise it ended up being a really good flyer and fun to fly.I'm not the best flyer but when you dont have alot invested in a model its fun to push your limits
|direct connection yard dart (2 min 42 sec)|
Heres my first plane. took me about 3 or 4 months to build. Built it as a 3 channel with an old AM radio I thought I got a deal on and a OS 40 la that barely got it off the ground. It flew great and my instructor could just about park it in the air. One time he even kept it in the air for 6 minutes after the engine died.