Posted by themudduck
201 HOLIDAY ELECTRIC FLY and R/C EXPO (NE OHIO)
Indoor flying at the SPIRE INSTITUTE sports complex's olympic-size track and field building.
The 2012 Holiday Electric Fly and R/C Expo is on for this year!
First full weekend in December, starting Friday afternoon Dec 7th, all day Saturday, and Sunday until about 3pm.
An AMA-sanctioned electric flying event, sponsored by HORIZON Hobby, LAZERTOYZ, and hosted by the MARCS club of NE Ohio
Event Flyer: http://www.hef-rcexpo.com/images/Ele...er3-2sides.pdf
Here's a quick 1min video showing off the view from the balcony (from 2010):
2010 - we had 107 registered pilots and more than 400 models a the very first HEF event.
2011 - we had 214 registered pilots and more than 600 models.
We may already be one of the country's largest indoor events!
Last year with more than 200 pilots, we had NO WAITING, NO LINES to FLY, AND PLENTY OF ROOM. The pilot's pit area was busy, but there's lots of room for everyone to spread out.
2012 - we can handle 350+ pilots and 1000+ airplanes. NO PROBLEM.
Event CD: Tony Husak at: email@example.com
Here is some info about the 2012 HEF RC Expo:
- Lot of Fun events, including full-contact combat and special events for micros
- Vendors will be there with all sorts of cool stuff for Christmas!
- TEN flight stations at the HUGE main racetrack flying area - and separate flying areas for 3D and Micro airplanes
- 600 feet long x 300 feet wide main stadium under one roof - the main racetrack flying area is football-field size (360 x 160 feet). The 3D flying area is 150 x 40 feet using the track for landing with those tiny wheels. The ceiling reaches 70-foot at the highest point with indirect lighting. The football field has artificial grass turf and is surrounded by a real 10-lane Olympic track and an extra 100 feet at each end. The 10 pilot stations in the main flying area are along the long side of the field near the grandstands.
- Large Pit Area for pilots with tables and some electricity - please bring extension cords
- Pilot prizes are awarded continuously, plus we'll have some prizes for flying contests
- Big MARCS club annual raffle - the prizes will be awarded at this event!
- FOOD DRIVE for Charity - bring at least 3 cans and receive a FREE raffle ticket to the big MARCS raffle.
- Climate controlled inside, free parking outside (sorry, no camping in the parking lot)
- Grandstand seats 4000+ spectators!
- Spire has it's own Sports Cafeteria called "FUEL" located at the Olympic Swimming facilty adjacent to the flying area.
- Nearby motels - and there is a Wendy's, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and two restaurants across the main road nearby.
- Geneva OH is at the Rt 534 exit on I-90, and the venue is very close to the exit (Geneva is about 1hr east from Cleveland OH or 1hr west of Erie PA, and about 1.5 hours north of Pittsburgh)
- Note, planned demos will not shut down flying, unlike at many other events. We promise to keep the disruptions from the contests to a minimum.
- Several contests are planned, including full-contact combat ($5 fee, pot to the winner), micro carrier, pylon races, Musical Airplanes and others TBD or we'll do them on the fly. Some of these events will require a shut down of open flying for short periods of time, but most will not. The large 3D and Micro areas are separate, so their events will not affect the main flying area!
- No food or drink allowed on the track floor, must remain in grandstand area.
- No combustion engines allowed
- We have separate areas for 3D aircraft, and Helicopters and Micro for safe flying.
- Flying Model weight limit: 16oz with battery - Largest motor size : airplanes 300, helicopters 250 NOTE: exceptions are possible but require approval and permission of the event CD
- early birds on Friday will have to endure set-up of tables, etc
- "bring your own" safe container for charging Lithum-Polymer batteries
- Register early on the HEF website with Paypal, or pay at the door.
- AMA membership card required for pilots. In order to be allowed on the main floor (where the pilots are) everyone must sign waiver forms, even if they are not pilots. See registration area for more information.